EV Raptor: Well, Would Ya?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Come into fantasy land for a moment. Play along if you will.

Tomorrow Ford announces in 6 months they will offer the Raptor as an all electric vehicle as an option. And because of its size, it can hold big batteries with a range fully loaded of 500 miles.

0-60 in 4.5 seconds, empty bed.

Now I didn’t take mpg into consideration when buying a Raptor. Anyone who is concerned about that bought the wrong vehicle IMHO.

So, would ya? Buy it? Do you currently own an EV?

I’ve test driven a relative’s Tesla S. It was quick but unimpressive for 100k. Yes, I know the price has come down. The Model 3 is butt ugly but maybe not a bad deal for some.
i also predict Tesla will go under but that’s another story, or at least Chapter 11.

Personally, I’m not yet ready for an EV except as a, in my case, 4th vehicle.

Well?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think everyone has seen this:

I drove the Model 3 performance and man does that thing move. It takes some getting used to but I was truest impressed.

I’m not sure whether the truck world is ready for an EV Raptor. Not sure how the heavy battery would impact suspension. Lots of storage in the frunk. At least no one can female dog about the V6 vs V8 sound. You could just pipe in the exhaust from a GT500.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Electric Raptor? I would say our 6000 lb truck just went to 7000 lbs and where is the charging station 20 miles out of Moab? Climbing and pulling all that weight your professed mileage just got cut in 1/2 or 2/3’s. No I think I’ll stay with the Eco for a while longer. Who knows in a couple years we’re gonna get that 9 Lt 1100 HP twin turbo super charged 12 piston monster motor anyway and it makes lots of noise. Really all I need is a bigger gas tank. Dang I keep having to put gas in this baby! LOVE my Rap!

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The post above hit the main issue... the Raptor is supposed to be an off-road vehicle, and there will be no charging stations off-road.

Of course the majority of Raptors owners don’t off-road their trucks... but that won’t change Ford’s purpose for building it.

I would however buy a Platinum or Limited EV F150.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There are still some serious drawbacks to going fully electric.
* range. Overall range on batteries in good health is still not on par with gas.
* range under load. haul some cargo, or haul some @$$. In either case, your range goes to crap at an exponentially faster rate than gas.
* Once you’re out of charge, you’re down for an hour or more under ideal circumstances.
* performance is different. acceleration / torque is excellent. traction and handling suffer from the weight.

look at this: https://lightningmotorcycle.com/product/specifications/

Superbikes typically weigh in about 400-450 pounds wet, and this thing is almost a full 500 pounds. top speed is potentially a little more than a de-restricted 1000cc superbike ( most manufacturers voluntarily limit speed to 186m/300k per hour via some electronic method ). I’m pretty sure the Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki & Yamaha will all break 190 to the mid 190’s, and they’re easily and inexpensively modified and will break 200 with bolt ons.

A typical motorcycle race is 20 or so laps, or if you look at the Isle of Man TT - up to 6 laps of the island, 2 x 37 miles between pit stops. Electric bikes can barely make 1 lap of the island.

This thing has a 100 mile range, that’s less than even the thirstiest, smallest gas tank Ducati.

So no, not an all electric Rap. maybe a mid engined Rap :) <kidding>

actually, I’m holding out for hybrid external combustion with afterburners.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all electric, very unlikely. but i think electric assist motors are very feasible. more feasible than going back to a V8 as the standard engine.

Last edited:

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Batteries and cold. Cabin temp is battery powered. And how good does a battery last at 0 degrees

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'd like to see a hybrid raptor.

Why?

It would actually be the best chance of seeing a V8 in the truck again.

Imagine, the two front wheels are driven by electric hub motors. These motors could be contained in portal boxes. The weight is as low to the ground as you can get it. Put the capacitor batteries where the front differential would normally be.

Now make the gasoline portion 2wd with a v8. For epa purposes, its a hybrid and the v8 can use cylinder close off tech like dodges. Cruising would require much less gasoline and v8 horsepower, so it would get better gas mileage. with the electric motor assist, again, needs less gas.

when 4wd is engaged, the hub motors are synched with the speed sensors and the throttle inputs.

for prerunning, being able to engage those hub motors on straightaways will probably help you go 10-20 mph faster in top speed.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the Raptors have come out with the EB it has tripled its buyer draw. Mostly because of the mpg. Those of us that bought a 10-14 might not be intrigued as those of you with the EB engine. So I believe there is a big market in an electric motor option for Raptor owners who never go off road but buy the Raptor for other reasons. (And a few that would not mind carrying a Generator to Moab to recharge.) A hybrid option is more attractive as mentioned already. At 200k my 6.2 has proven reliable. The Electric motor would also need a good warranty included to make the jump not as risky.