Erratic operation and engine shutoff today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some searching and couldn't find a match, wondering if anyone has experienced these issues.

1. Auto up windows no longer work. I did the reset as described in the owners manual to no avail.

2. Check Headlight System warning has come up 3x in the last two days. Comes on for a minute and then goes away.

3. This afternoon - after a 250 mile trip, the truck shut itself off (screen went out and no dash lights at all) in the middle of the road while stopped at a light. When I started it back up (thank goodness it started) - said the Parking brake was activated. It really wasn't, but whew.

4. Drove 15 more miles to our destination. After turning the engine off - a loud fan started up. I'm presuming electric cooling fan for the engine, but have never heard that before and why would it be on if the truck was turned off?

2021 with 4K miles. A couple of weeks ago, got the trailer recall done as well as the fix for the fan running all the time for Pro Power.

Hoping we don't get stranded far from home in the next couple of weeks.... Gremlins, Poltergeist?

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the truck to the stealership and have it diagnosed. The fan being on after the engine being shut off is probably normal unless it ran for 30 minutes or more.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a major short somewhere. Had a loose connection at the main battery fuse box in one of my trucks and it caused many of the sensors to throw codes (as well as burning up the fuse box). Definitely have it towed to a dealer, might even want to disconnect the battery to be safe.

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far..... Sounds like a visit to a dealer is necessary. Of course I call the one nearest to me (pretty good size) this morning - "You have to make an appt. for that and we can't get you in until August 4." Sign of the times, I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed that nothing major emerges and we don't get stranded. Been really solid so far, as were my '17 and '19 Gen 2's...

OP
OP
Teledatgeek

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people have reported that the fuses in the junction boxes were not fully seated, which can cause a multitude of random issues. I’d start by checking that first.
Thank you. Sure enough - a dozen or so fuses in the junction box under the hood were not seated all the way. The ones in the passenger footwell compartment all seemed ok. Hoping for no more issues.....

This kind of makes sense with the randomness of what has been happening. This was also after our first big road trip so maybe things got moved around more....

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Good luck. I hope the fuses were it. reading it through I was thinking of the network modules - gateway maybe?
Take the truck to the stealership and have it diagnosed. The fan being on after the engine being shut off is probably normal unless it ran for 30 minutes or more.

I’m going to take a different position here as I think this would result in an abundance of frustration. service advisor will take the report, hand the keys to the tech who will : check for DTCs, find none, fill out papers “unable to replicate customer concern”.
wash. rinse. repeat.

Get or re-task a go pro in cabin and begin filming your drives. Activate before startup and keep on until after shutdown and keep it that way for a couple weeks. That way if something goes wrong, you have at least something to go on.