Equal length mid pipe exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • +16 HP and +19 lbs. x ft. Torque Max Gains
  • Equal Length Loop Design for Optimum Performance
  • Utilizes 400 CPSI (cell per square inch) Catalytic Converter for Maximum Flow
  • Constructed of 3" Mandrel Bent, Brushed 304 Stainless Steel Tubing
  • Machined Factory Style Flanges are Used for a Secure Leak-Free Seal
  • 100% Hand MIG-Welded by Certified Craftsmen Ensures Optimal Strength and Durability
  • Includes O2 Extension Lead and Hardware for a Hassle Free Installation
Stupid question but does the following matter?

"Race Disclaimer:
This is a Race Only product that is to be used solely for competition, it cannot be used on vehicles that are operated on public streets, roads or highways. Its use is limited to closed-course and open-course racing that is formally sanctioned by a recognized racing organization. Any other use, including recreational off-road use, could be in violation of local, state and federal laws. To complete the purchase of this item, aFe Power competition acknowledgement/liability release form must be filled out and submitted."

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford answered one of the biggest complaints about the Gen 2, Sound!!! The other is two more cylinders as cried about by many. But that’s another story.

I would have to think if this system can be duped, There’s money to be made. Now getting the active valving with sound modes? Probably don’t see that happening for the Gen 2.

Why wouldn't sound modes be a viable option? It doesn't seem like it would be too complicated to develop. You would need the valve, actuator (I think), power, and controller. You might even be able to get away with a wireless controller of sorts. And these parts and setup could very easily be use in exhaust systems for other vehicles. Who wouldn't want the option to go quite when you're taking grandma to the hairdresser, and loud when you're trying to show off, etc?

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could easily weld in an x pipe and add a valve to open up exhaust before the rear silencers. Add the valve at an equal distance from headers on each side for the equal sound pulse. Can be done down at the corner exhaust shop.

Screenshot_20210208-184033.png

Caveguru

Reaction score
there's a thread somewhere right on this forum about the AFE equal length downpipe. If I remember right some people said it sounded better but others didn't feel like there was much of a difference. Plus there's a video from AFE out there.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it strange there is not more feed back on this unit. Maybe it was just priced too high for the market without enough "marketing"? That's the one sad fact I'd resigned myself too. The only unforgivable disappointing feature of the truck to me is it sounds SO bad. I was NOT going to put an exhaust on it as all offerings make it sound worse to my ear. I'd love a little more sound, but not more of "this" sound. Hope this equal length unit actually does that but I'm not confident enough to be the guinea pig. I really dislike the OE sound enough the last thing I want is for it to be louder.

<edit>

I absolutely LOVE the truck otherwise...

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't a good exhaust shop just measure the difference and bend/weld in a loop? The high-end exhaust shops around here build much more intricate stuff than this for hot-rods all day long. I also don't see how Ford is going to patent the x-pipe, that's been done for 30+ years at least.

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't a good exhaust shop just measure the difference and bend/weld in a loop? The high-end exhaust shops around here build much more intricate stuff than this for hot-rods all day long. I also don't see how Ford is going to patent the x-pipe, that's been done for 30+ years at least.

good point, I wonder what it would cost to add the loop. I’m sure the price of the afe has kept buyers at bay

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That AFE twisted down pipe isn’t any more expensive than a good set of Kooks. I considered them but I heard a number of complaints about overall quality, workmanship, etc.

Further, just because the downpipes are equalized doesn’t translate into the same sound Ford is making with their equalized exhaust. There is much more trickery to their exhaust than just the equal length. I believe it is acoustically tuned much like a musical instrument.... to highlight certain frequencies and cancel others... to arrive at a more pleasing sound.

borla, who they use to make their FOMOCO performance exhaust.... had been heavily involved in this acoustic exhaust research a few years ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ford isn’t capitalizing on it.