Engineer and life long toyota owner going Raptor....finally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an engineer (actually Ford was my first engineering job out of school) and have always been impressed with the capability of the Raptor. I also have only ever owned Toyota's in part because I was very into rock crawlers, but later more-so for the reliability. I've found after buying several new Toyotas that I'm tired of only eating vanilla ice cream. I got the "coolest" Toyota I could, a TRD Pro 4runner in the tan quicksand color etc. but still feel incredibly underwhelmed by it. I've been a member on this forum for years, more as a pipe dream but soon as a contributing member. I sold my 76 FJ40 (LS1, 1 tons, 40's, etc) and am trading in my 4runner on a 2019 SCREW!!!
Now the painful multi-month wait.....

Here's my FJ and 4runner for fun:
20180929-120308.jpg
00707-gpe-LNt-U9clt-1200x900.jpg

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cool fj. If only it didn't have a Garbage Motor... I'm sure you will miss it but the Rappy will make up for that. Congrats. As the late, great Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part."

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
nice 40!

I too came out of a long line of toys (40, 60, 62, fzj80, taco), and also had lots of jeeps (FSJ, XJ, YJ, TJ) then graduated to a raptor.

Going fast is so much more fun than going slow. :)

carsonmd

Reaction score
Great description of a toyota ... "vanilla." I have a 2017 tundra and looking for a raptor as well.

CP312

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just traded my Tundra TRD Pro in Cement for literally every reason you stated. Got a ‘18 in Leadfoot... all I can say is I should’ve done it sooner. Congrats and I think you’ll be happy with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice toys you have, congrats on the '19 Raptor! What color did you order?

OP
OP
F

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, wish Toyota would read these threads lol. Ended up going with Magnetic, would have done lead foot hands down if I could've but unavailable for the 19s.

Todd458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m Coming from an LX and had a chance to drive a friends 2018 raptor for a couple of hours around the hills of autin. I was actually shocked as it was extremely fun to drive. The Lexus is very nice and has had crawl control for quite a few years. I think since 14,but the sheer power of the raptor as well as being almost as smooth as the Lexus had me in quite a bit of shock. It was just a totally different driving experience. I think anyone would enjoy driving this vehicle across country. Lord knows it has a lot more room than the LX 570. This will be my first ford. A build date of November 20.

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m Coming from an LX and had a chance to drive a friends 2018 raptor for a couple of hours around the hills of autin. I was actually shocked as it was extremely fun to drive. The Lexus is very nice and has had crawl control for quite a few years. I think since 14,but the sheer power of the raptor as well as being almost as smooth as the Lexus had me in quite a bit of shock. It was just a totally different driving experience. I think anyone would enjoy driving this vehicle across country. Lord knows it has a lot more room than the LX 570. This will be my first ford. A build date of November 20.

I guess a lot of former Toyota/Lexus owners on here!

My last 3 vehicles were: 1999 4Runner Limited 4WD, 2001 Lexus LX 470, and 2009 Prius. Definitely a lot more excitement and "smiles per gallon" with the Raptor. However, since I have concerns with Ford reliability, I bought an extended warranty, which I had never done with a vehicle purchase before.

Since owning the Raptor for 8 months, there's been 1 issue: Malfunctioning APIM unit rendering a useless navigation and Sync3 interface. The dealer ordered a new APIM unit, but it's on back-order.