Engine/Turbos blown under 1100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 1: (I’ll post these to the main thread too)
So the dealer got back to me yesterday (02/23) and let me know they got it up on the lift and started to diagnose the issue. To my surprise the tech checked the engine and turbos and neither of them have any damage (apparently). He said they also checked the waste gate and didn’t see any issues there. He said they were a little confused and not sure why the truck was doing what it was doing (white smoke, metal grinding noise under load, etc.). He said they are going to pull some more techs on it to try and figure out what is wrong/broken.

So TLDR, they don’t know what is wrong but it isn’t the turbos or engine.

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 2:
So the dealer gave me another call today and they think they have found the issue. Essentially what happened was that both valve covers have a diaphragm which was installed incorrectly from the factory. Due to the incorrect configuration of these diaphragms they allowed oil to leak into the exhaust and burn off (along with some other issues). I'm not exactly sure if hes is talking about the active valves (ones in the exhaust) or some other valves but no damage to the turbos or engine has occurred, everything is in check.

They have the parts on order however due to there being a trucker's strike up in Detroit and the inclement weather across the midwest they have no idea when the replacements will come in. Until then the truck has to stay in their possession and there is not much i can do.

So it looks like my actions were not what "killed" the truck. Although i know to not use the paddle shifters now the way I did, the problems observed were due to an issue noticed on delivery with the exhaust rattling. Because i haven't pushed the vehicle hard until the other day, they never truly became a problem and the problem was still there but just hadn't become present.

Anyway, that seems to be all for now, they said they will cover the repair and let me know when it will be done, hopefully it doesn't take too long!

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 2:
So the dealer gave me another call today and they think they have found the issue. Essentially what happened was that both valve covers have a diaphragm which was installed incorrectly from the factory. Due to the incorrect configuration of these diaphragms they allowed oil to leak into the exhaust and burn off (along with some other issues). I'm not exactly sure if hes is talking about the active valves (ones in the exhaust) or some other valves but no damage to the turbos or engine has occurred, everything is in check.

They have the parts on order however due to there being a trucker's strike up in Detroit and the inclement weather across the midwest they have no idea when the replacements will come in. Until then the truck has to stay in their possession and there is not much i can do.

So it looks like my actions were not what "killed" the truck. Although i know to not use the paddle shifters now the way I did, the problems observed were due to an issue noticed on delivery with the exhaust rattling. Because i haven't pushed the vehicle hard until the other day, they never truly became a problem and the problem was still there but just hadn't become present.

Anyway, that seems to be all for now, they said they will cover the repair and let me know when it will be done, hopefully it doesn't take too long!

Little bit of push on them and I'm sure you could get some free accessories from the Ford store.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think about what you said, you shifted at 6k. In auto mode, the shift is complete by 6k. Ford knows there is little to no load on the engine in the brief moment when it changes gears. I bet you’re engine 7-8k when you hit the shifter. Ask the tech weather they cover it or not.
Exactly, as much as the truck will protect itself, its not 100% foolproof when using manual mode. Same thing with a manual, if you can get past the lockout you can shift into too low of a gear.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ANY modern engine is equipped with a rev-limiter accomplished by throttle closure, fuel cut, timing retard, etc. HOWEVER, there is NO WAY to stop a mechanical over-rev into destruction. Like if you jam the vehicle into a lower gear at speed, or have it in a lower gear in manual and head downhill such that the weight of the truck over speeds the engine. Just remember that there are ZERO mechanical limiters for stupid. There’s a utoob video where an RV was towing a jeep-something, but left it in gear. The diesel RV didn’t care at all about the trash it was towing. The jeep engine literally exploded into shrapnel. Just sayin’

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 3:
So the dealer called me again today and let me know they performed the fix on the engine valve diaphragm but turns out that was not the problem. Turns out that the passenger side turbo is in fact blown and they have to replace the whole assembly. I thought this was odd because they told me they checked the turbos first and they were fine since I brought it up. He said they just have missed it the first time. Anyway the turbo is leaking a lot of oil into the exhaust and that is what caused the smoke, the metal grinding was the turbo attempting to spin.

Similar to @OSURaptor some of the parts are back ordered with no eta in sight. Guess it’s going to be a while. Hope they can fix it soon.

I also contact Ford corporate about the problem and complained. Doing so managed to get me an ESP warranty and service contract for free! So at least they are helping me out there! They are going to let me know the term on it this upcoming week but the kind agent said she would have to find out from the dealer how bad the situation is first. She said at minimum they will give me something though. Good in them for helping out, anyone who runs into this issue, a call to corporate may work out in your favor!