Engine/Turbos blown under 1100 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo blew out the same way.

As far as I know, you are the third forum poster with a blown turbo within ~2000 miles.

I am never putting into manual and redlining it again. Digital cluster is not fast enough to let me know when to change gears. There is a lag, and I'm pretty sure you and I bounced off the rev-limiter.

Normally, I don't think this is a big deal, but I think the turbo ran away on us. All that exhaust flow at ~6000 to 6100, and if you bounce off the rev-limiter, that turbo will overspeed and break it self down - my hypothesis.

They need to upgrade that digital dash to 300 hz+ refresh rate. Computer monitors can do it, these digital clusters are a decade behind in terms of digital display technology goes. The digital dash on the trackhawks was a joke, and this is just as bad in terms of lag.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As far as I know, you are the third forum poster with a blown turbo within ~2000 miles.

I am never putting into manual and redlining it again. Digital cluster is not fast enough to let me know when to change gears. There is a lag, and I'm pretty sure you and I bounced off the rev-limiter.

Normally, I don't think this is a big deal, but I think the turbo ran away on us. All that exhaust flow at ~6000 to 6100, and if you bounce off the rev-limiter, that turbo will overspeed and break it self down - my hypothesis.

They need to upgrade that digital dash to 300 hz+ refresh rate. Computer monitors can do it, these digital clusters are a decade behind in terms of digital display technology goes. The digital dash on the trackhawks was a joke, and this is just as bad in terms of lag.

It’s really not the dash readout lag that causes the issue, although there is some lag there. The 10Rxx 10-speed transmission actually takes about a 1/2 second to change gears. You don’t feel or see it, but my data logs plainly show what’s happening.

The software starts the shift at about 5700 rpm at WOT. There’s quite a bit of activity going on the the trans/software that is transparent to the driver.

I’m certainly not a trans software expert and Cobb software doesn’t include the trans function in their AT (user) software. However, I also have HPTuners software for my ExplorerST which does include the trans function. It also has the 10Rxx transmission.

SO, if you really like pulling on the paddle shifter for WOT upshift, you MUST pull it when you “see” 5500/5600 on the tach to account for the delay in your eye-to-hand reaction time.

Like I posted earlier, if you wait until you “see” 6000rpm, you’re already 0.5+ second too late and it spins hard into the rev limiter and engine momentum carries it well past the limit.

ALSO, the rev limiter is semi-intelligent in that if you approach the limit slower, it will result in the common pops and bangs as it holds the peak rpm. If you go flying into it like this WOT shift issue it must cut all power because you are so far past the limit.

Happy Rappy Driving!

Last edited:

1olddogtwo

Reaction score
Some of you guys are simply ridiculous with the comments.

I had a similar situation with my 2020, in Auto with probably 500 miles on it.

Coming down hard a on ramp to the express way ramp after dropping off a light tower at a job site. It shifted 3rd into 4th and fell on it's face hard. Had to hit the shoulder and back up the ramp. Damn near every light in the dash was on, engine running extremely rough. Had towed to the local Ford dealer.

Next day when they opened, I explained everything that it happened didn't hold anything back. Towing, "racing"down the on ramp, etc.

At first, after looked at they told the towing of the light tower cause some electrical mishap.....What? (I'm thinking"Get the F out of here"). Or whomever hooked up wires to the upfitter switches could shorted some out was the next call.

It was a Podunk dealer in the middle of Illinois, I went down there with my rollback truck picked it up and brought it to a dealer more familiar with them. Ended up one of the plugs for the ECM wasn't fully seated.

My current 21 raptor is in for a new transmission with less then 200 miles on. After it overhead during a normal drive into work, it overheated, hit 275. After it cooled down, we took it out for more then a few beating to insure the transmission would be replaced. I'm expecting it back this week.

OP
OP
PandaBoi

PandaBoi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your truck. How many back to back runs did you do like tis?
Only two 0 to 60 runs back to back, that was it. After the first one it only slightly felt like something bad happened. The second one was far worse and I knew something was wrong so I stopped.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Given your comment and @TwizzleStix I could very well see this being what happened. Moving forward I will avoid using the paddle shifters when doing that sort of acceleration and could totally see that my reaction time would not be comparable to that of the vehicle. Unfortunate that it likely blew a gasket (what my friend thinks happened too) but the dealer seems pretty interested in helping out. I’ll let y’all know what happens. :popcorn:

You will find that 1st and 2nd are so low and these things rev so quickly it's hard to get it shifted manually in time. I use the paddles in manual/sport for sand duties just to keep ti in the sweet spot. But even there 1-2 takeoffs are so quick it's almost impossible to hit it right without losing 3-400rpm's.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't get it. While he was "racing", he wasn't operating the truck out of the expected norms of it's use. I'm pretty sure "flooring it" doesn't void your warranty. You should be able to walk in to the dealer right now and tell them directly that something broke under hard acceleration and it shouldn't be an issue, let alone post on a forum where you look for advice and support. So why are you piling up on him?
It’s the Raptor forum. It’s what they do. Lol.

Totally sucks. Hope you get it sorted out. Bouncing off the rev limiter should not blow an engine. Ford tough my a s s.

oh, sometimes I’m glad my hair is gray and I’m older than dirt. I just don’t see any need nor sense in playing those games. 0-60 in a two and a half ton truck? Why? Get a Porsche or a vette. You can launch a Porsche from 9 am to 5 pm on Sunday and drive it to work on Monday. Can’t find it but there’s a video of a dude launching a 911 50-100 times in a row. Horses for courses.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only digital dash I've ever enjoyed is the modern Audi one. Everything else is laggy, and regular analog gauges work better in a performance situation for this reason.