Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajaxraptor

Reaction score
Hey all! I’ve been checking on the forum about this noise and all signs pointed to bad cam phasers. Took the truck in for an engine ticking. Dealer just replaced cam phasers and solenoids.

Picked it up today as the dealer said it was complete and the ticking is gone. But, as you can see in the video it’s still there. I think it has gotten worse.

Check out the video and give me your thoughts. This is becoming annoying, and don’t want to leave the truck for another 2 weeks+.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you’ll need a better sound and longer video to use at the dealer.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a better video

Does it follow RPM? Or does it go away when you rev it up?
I had a very similar noise on mine and it turned out to be rod knock (spun conrod bearing on cylinder 4). Had the engine replaced under warranty. Not saying that's what yours is, but might want to take it to another dealer to get a second opinion on it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
whatever it is, it’s not normal and it’s not like anyone on FRF can fix it over the internet. it sounds a little “hollow’ for rod knock to me, with my master’s degree in automotive engine repair from the Wile E. Coyote school of engineering excellence and all.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does not sound like rod knock to me, either, but that is definitely not normal. I would take it in right away.

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your troubles!

Can you post details about your Raptor like:
Year, Build date, Mileage, etc?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DieselWeasel

Reaction score
It would also help to know where the sound is coming from (bottom, top, front, rear). A fun trick is to use a long extension or screwdriver as a stethoscope. Place one end against the engine and listen at the other end. Test every component (different points on the valve cover, oil pan, injectors) that you can safely get to and see where the ticking is loudest. I've run into so many things that can tick that you might not even think about. Not a definitive diagnosis since vibrations travel, but will definitely help narrow down the problem. As a final thought, always start simple. It's very easy to jump to the worst-case scenario and forget the basics (oil, fuel, etc...) I can't tell you how many times I tore apart some major component looking for a knock or tick only to find out later (when I bothered to check) that the oil was over/under filled.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another suggestion. Our cam-driven HPFP is on the passenger side, under the engine cover. Take off your cover and see if the sound is coming from that. It's a silver unit, will be on near the valve cover (kind of between it and the intake, if I remember, but might be closer to/on the intake manifold). I can hear mine ticking, but not as loud as that, and not sure of that is normal for one (if that's what it is) or not. But if it is the HPFP you'll save yourself lots of time/trouble trying to find other sources. Agree with the 'screwdriver' trick above. I also agree it doesn't sound 'chunky' enough to be a rod knock, but that's not an area of expertise on my end by far.