Engine Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
As with most question, I'm sure there is another thread about this, but I couldn't find one.

I'm pretty new to Raptor's, bought my 2012 with 113,000 miles on it in Nov 2020, and I've noticed that the temperature fluctuates a lot...is this normal? I can ride around town and it will hang around 190-193...stop at a long light and it will jump to 205-210, but return to low 90's after a minute or two. If I run it down the Interstate at 75-80 mph for a long period (aka get it super warmed up)... the lower temperatures it maintains is 195-198.

Now I do understand that there is not a fan pulling air through the radiator all the time and moving is the only way air flow happens. Just to me that much fluctuation seems like a lot...thus my question "is this normal"??

2nd question, my auxiliary fans don't kick on until 213 degrees...that also seem a little high, but I don't know what temp it is supposed to kick on. I don't see anything in the manual referencing what temperature they are supposed to kick on.

I replaced the thermostat and radiator cap, just because I though it may help, but it has not changed anything.

I tend to be a nervous nelly about this kind of thing, if I can get a "that is normal" and all Gen 1's run at those temperatures, it would make me sleep better at night. IF this is not normal, any direction on where to go next would be appreciated.

thanks

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's normal, for a complete OEM stock Gen1 Raptor

The OEM radiator fans are set to go on around 210-214 and turn off around 202-206 (depending on what you use to read the temp)
If you have the AC on you will notice only one fan spinning when it's above 202-206 and both will spin around 210-214
And the fans are step speed controlled, you may have noticed sometimes you hear them sometimes you don't.
Ford does this to make the most mpg. they say at those engine temps you get more of a complete burn of fuel.

Last edited: