Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Engine Temp Fluctuation

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by digscruze, Dec 1, 2020.

1. digscruze

digscruze Member

So on my drive in to work today I noticed that my engine temps are higher than usual.

I have the 170 thermostat but my engine temps were as high as 208 degrees. With the thermostat I’ve never seen those temps.
    Only other factor is the colder than usual temps with this cold front (FL).

Is it normal for the truck to run this hot with a lower temp thermostat when ambient temps are colder or is this an issue?

2. Kmorgs

Kmorgs Full Access Member

What temps exactly? Cylinder head temps?

3. goblues38

goblues38 FRF Addict

my water temp (main gauge) with stock t-stat will vary between 195 and 215 during normal driving regardless of outside temp. If I push it hard with a lot of wide open throttle, it will jump up to 230. fans come on at 220.

As soon as I back off, it drops back to the normal 195-215 range.

This is with an aftermarket tune.

4. digscruze

digscruze Member

i have a 2017, the main engine temp gauge on top. I did the forscan mod to display temps and it usually wouldn’t climb that high.

I think the newer trucks display CHT. Im basically seeing stockish temps recently but not sure if it’s because of the ambient temp change or if there’s something wrong with my T-stat.

5. TwizzleStix

TwizzleStix Pudendum Compliance Inspector Supporting Member

In cooler weather the engine is usually still coming up to full temp as you're driving. The grill shutters are usually closed as well. The engine will gain temp faster than the t-stat opens fully and you see the indicated temp rise higher than "normal" while everything is settling into the full temp operation. You will generally only see the phenomenon when the ambient temps are cool and usually only for the first few t-stat cycles.

digscruze likes this.
  6. digscruze

digscruze Member

I figured it was like that since temps have come down after running or idling for extended periods.