Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Penny

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place.

I think my 2014 6.2 threw a rod at 145k miles . The engine won’t turn over 90% of the time. When it does and start, I hear a rattling sound in the engine so I turn it off. The code it gave me is p0308 and p1450. thinking worst case, I would need another engine or get it rebuild. I found a few f150 6.2 locally at the junk yards from the 2011-2014. Would it be a direct drop or do I need to get a raptor specification engine. And if it’s a direct drop, would I need a different ecu or anything else. Rebuilding is another option but I don’t really know any good shop in Houston, Texas area.
trying to prepare myself for the worst.

Loud390FE

Reaction score
I think you should troubleshoot a bit before making that call. There’s other things that could break and rattle other than a connecting rod.

but there are several threads in here that mention an engine swap. I think a few things have to transfer over but I dunno what. Nothing major anyways. But I’m new here so I’m sure a pro will chime in.

OP
OP
P

Penny

Reaction score
They shop couldn’t even get the engine to turn over to do a compression test. Looks like it’s locked. They’re dropping the engine tomorrow and we’ll go from there. I sourced out an engine already just in case but just wanted to make sure that all 6.2 from the f150 are the same and don’t need to get anything else.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe there is a different cam in the raptor engine, don't quote me 100% though. Somebody will chime in that knows more.

Just found this info for you

"The main reason is that when the truck goes over 8,500 pounds [gross vehicle weight rating], the SAE [horsepower and torque] rating method changes," Brewer said. "We can't get the same horsepower and torque out of it [like we can in the F-150].”
The 6.2-liter V-8 in the Super Duty also uses a different camshaft from the light-duty version, which, some may recall, is the same approach Ford uses to make 500 hp in the FR Raptor XT version of the 6.2-liter V-8.

Cliffs:
Raptor: 411/434
Superduty: 385/405
Reason: Cams and different horsepower testing techniques.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The raptor has different cams and tune. Your tune is in the ecu so you will just have to source the cams.
Important note tho, when you order the cams, they have to be ordered with a special “escalation “ or something of that matter. Basically hand picked, checked and carefully packed. Took till the 4th order for me by the time they figured it out and did this. If not they inevitably come with bent timing wheels from getting dropped.
Of course you could just use your own cams if undamaged...

OP
OP
P

Penny

Reaction score
I ordered another 6.2 engine from another 150.
already. I’m still confused if I can just put it in and use the same ecu or not. The 6.2 I got isn’t from a super duty.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered another 6.2 engine from another 150.
already. I’m still confused if I can just put it in and use the same ecu or not. The 6.2 I got isn’t from a super duty.
I think you should be fine if the motor is out of a f150 and not the superduty. Cams should be the same.

OP
OP
P

Penny

Reaction score
The engine I ordered is from a 6 as 8th vin #. I believe that’s also from a raptor so it should be good. I’m planning on driving on that engine and rebuilding my Old one as a back up. thanks for the help guys

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The engine I ordered is from a 6 as 8th vin #. I believe that’s also from a raptor so it should be good. I’m planning on driving on that engine and rebuilding my Old one as a back up. thanks for the help guys
Post some pics of the re and re, we like seeing that stuff.