GEN 2 Engine stumble under light boost on freeway - code P0301

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re welcome!!! Hope you enjoyed Hawaii as much as I did. Been there a few times for work; stayed a week, then four months the second time. Then with the family. Both times were in Honolulu. The last time my wife, and I, went was last year. Stayed on the island of Lana’i!!! That hotel was amazing. On that trip I can’t think of anything I had that wasn’t delicious!!! If I could afford the cost of living, to include premium gas, I’d move there in a heartbeat. Can’t get over the fact you have to commute by “very small plane” to and from the island. Not a big fan of flying… even less of a fan when one of the pilot’s is like 15y/o!!! Other than that Lana’i is the place to be free of the crowded tourism in Honolulu.
we are staying on a coffee plantation near Kona. it’s our second trip but first with all the kids. i’m most excited about our private fishing trip. going a full day so hoping to catch dinner.

we are just north of you in vistancia.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we are staying on a coffee plantation near Kona. it’s our second trip but first with all the kids. i’m most excited about our private fishing trip. going a full day so hoping to catch dinner.

we are just north of you in vistancia.
Nice… I bet that fishing trip will be awesome!!!

Cool, ur not far way from us at all!!!

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice… I bet that fishing trip will be awesome!!!

Cool, ur not far way from us at all!!!
Ellison,

I pulled two of three MAF today. Only the one at the back of the engine had any noticeable oil residue. See pics. Truck still has the wot stutter problem just before cleaning. will take a ride later to see if this fixed it temporarily. I did notice on cold start I had no rattle from the engine w hood up. that good I suppose.

should i do anything with forscan now?

any news on your end?

Attachments

• 9E1DE2D0-7AED-4D9A-AECF-1EBA16782E47.jpeg
    9E1DE2D0-7AED-4D9A-AECF-1EBA16782E47.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 235CAA77-79FA-4B46-987C-7485E18F90DA.jpeg
    235CAA77-79FA-4B46-987C-7485E18F90DA.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 different schools of thought I guess… but in that case, i would rather deal with swapping plugs earlier, rather dealing with a seized one later.
That’s a very good point… I would imagine if you don’t coat the plug with anti-seize it should be okay.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ellison,

I pulled two of three MAF today. Only the one at the back of the engine had any noticeable oil residue. See pics. Truck still has the wot stutter problem just before cleaning. will take a ride later to see if this fixed it temporarily. I did notice on cold start I had no rattle from the engine w hood up. that good I suppose.

any news on your end?
That dirty sensor should get sprayed with CRC MAF sensor cleaner, or something comparable. Also, clean out the throttle body. Remember what I said about the throttle body butterfly… only manipulate it with the harness disconnected. When it’s connected it’s default position is commanded to close. Moving it with harness connected can cause damage.

You also want to get that blow-by… that way it doesn’t keep contaminating your intake, and associated components. Did you look at the plugs?

Actually, thinking of changing my plugs as I’m noticing a slight fluctuation on the RPM gauge. Looks reminiscent of what the tuner pointed out to me before the last dyno run. He swapped them out before tuning.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told not to run anti seize on spark plugs because it can cause issues. Also mine clunks in reverse too. It stopped when I replaced the suspension in November but it's started to do it again but not as harshly.
I would definitely use anti-seize. You can not use as much. Also, when applying direct application towards upper/ middle threads. Very little towards the bottom. Should help prevent excess fouling out the plug.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ellison,

any news on your end?
Oh… another thing I did was concentrate my search to where the some of the excess oil that was fouling out my MAP sensor could’ve been coming from. I decided to do something that took some time to build up the guts to do. Decided to tap a small hole in my OEM intercooler.

There was much more that came out, but had to shorten due to file size. This is what I got…

Attachments

• IMG_3419.MOV
    8.8 MB

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forscan couldn’t hurt. Thinking it might be vague in it’s findings. I could however be incorrect as I’ve never used it.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I am now having this issue with a full race intercooler and good tuned stage 2. Wot and boom. Engine shakes like hell, cel, loss of power.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If “Fordtechmakuloco” recommends a light coat, then that’s good enough for me.
I third that comment. FordTechMakuloco (Brian) has actually worked on my truck. He also recommended this to me in person. Can’t argue with his suggestions as they are made in the customers best interests.