GEN 2 Engine stumble under light boost on freeway - code P0301

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it would seem the TS BOV is the better first move?
Well, if you want to alleviate the blow-by that would be one way. Either with the manual model used with Full Races Intercooler. Or, the electronic version designed for the OEM intercooler.

Now you have to pressure sections of the motor. One being the PCV, and the other being the CCV. PVC side consists of the passenger side of the motor.

The PCV sits on the valve cover and allows pressure/ gases to flow back into the manifold to be sent through the combustion process where they are burned off. It’s this process that contaminates the MAP sensor and throttle body inside circumference; to include the butterfly valve. So, a small catch can on this side wouldn’t hurt. I did add a JLT here. It’s been about 3 weeks since I installed it. Truck say for two of those weeks while out of town for work. I’ll check it, and post my findings in the next 1-2wks. I’ll let you know if it was worth it. Thought it might act differently since it was isolated from the CCV side unlike the Full Race design which has both sides going to the same place.

The CCV side is located on the drivers side. This is the side the BOV is located on. Anything here will be expelled through the BOV.

Btw, should also check the MAP sensor to see how clean/ dirty it is. Thinking it’s not dirty because I get absolutely none of the hesitation and jerking anymore. I am still curious though.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i just realized today reading some articles here and watching YT videos that Full Race is based out of Phoenix, which is where I am so... when I return and recover from my Hawaii trip I'm going to have to visit them.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i just realized today reading some articles here and watching YT videos that Full Race is based out of Phoenix, which is where I am so... when I return and recover from my Hawaii trip I'm going to have to visit them.
Yup… they are not too far from Sky Harbor airport. I live in Surprise. I have driven over there a few times.

They asked me what I was putting their stuff on when I was there to pickup something. Told them I installed their kit on my Expedition. The guy quickly replied they did not make an application for my truck. Had him follow me outside.

He saw the intercooler, and was shocked. I opened the hood to show him the rest… Full Race catch can, Full Race CAI, etc.

He took a bunch of pics. Told him I wanted a cut of the profits when they start selling an Expedition kit!!! Haven’t heard anything… hahaha

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full Race has that V2 Intercooler kit for $1499. I’d say MPT is a bit high. And the OEM install kit is about half the price on their site as well. Unless that MPT price is for two kits. One kit will serve two turbos.
Agreed, I found MPT to be high compared to the other shops that I was browsing. I'm still interested in your results and the general agreement here from other owners on what can fix this shudder/rapid fuel cutoff thing from happening. Yesterday, I drove downtown for a workshop and every WOT or 75% throttle was experiencing this behavior. I have to get it fixed. I love the idea of big power, but I mostly want reliability. So, my parts selection is going to be geared for that.

I'd be interested in opinions on what that looks like vs. replacing turbos and all the big power changes.

Catch cans, BOV only? Intercooler too?

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok… so, my experience so far is with the Full Race intercooler I’ve had no more P0301 CEL’s. No more hesitation under heavy throttle.

For reliability I’d go with the Full Race catch can, and clean off that MAP sensor. Btw, have you checked the MAP sensor yet? If so, was it coated in an oily substance? Did cleaning it help?

If it, and your throttle body plate, were funky the catch can would be a great help. You would either need to check that sensor a few times to be sure all contaminants are out of the intercooler, or tap a small hole for draining that can be easily plugged.

For performance and focus on the issue, just the intercooler and BOV from Full Race. There was another intercooler I came across that had a drain at the bottom. Can’t remember who made it. While that’s cool the idea is not let it get to the point to have anything to drain in the first place; hence the BOV.

As far as turbos go that’s just getting you more power without focusing on the issue. Unless, you get the turbos in conjunction with the aforementioned kit. At which point you’d really want to add a set of new downpipes because of the flow constriction that would result from the bigger turbos trying to push more air through small openings.

It’s a money pit you might not want to fall into. But wait… this is the Raptor forum!!! You guys are rich!!!

Let me know what you decide… I’m curious. Also, find out what condition that sensor and TB plate are in. This should also give you an idea what the plugs might possibly look like without pulling them. Remember, I’d get the oil blow-by issue resolved before I throw new plugs at it.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you Ellison. i’m going to look when I return from hawaii. i had too much work the past few weeks prepping for PTO

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you Ellison. i’m going to look when I return from hawaii. i had too much work the past few weeks prepping for PTO
You’re welcome!!! Hope you enjoyed Hawaii as much as I did. Been there a few times for work; stayed a week, then four months the second time. Then with the family. Both times were in Honolulu. The last time my wife, and I, went was last year. Stayed on the island of Lana’i!!! That hotel was amazing. On that trip I can’t think of anything I had that wasn’t delicious!!! If I could afford the cost of living, to include premium gas, I’d move there in a heartbeat. Can’t get over the fact you have to commute by “very small plane” to and from the island. Not a big fan of flying… even less of a fan when one of the pilot’s is like 15y/o!!! Other than that Lana’i is the place to be free of the crowded tourism in Honolulu.