Engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gene Kirk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a 17 with 33k miles on it. Casually rolling down the road and the oil pressure light pops up. I know there have been a thread or two on the subject. Long story short after about a month at the dealership I’m getting a new engine. My question to you guys is should I keep it? I have some long term concerns. Any advice would be appreciated.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my $0.02, but assuming any underlying cause is addressed you’re essentially resetting the clock to zero miles on your truck. Clearly wear and tear (especially on the trans) is still a factor, but the biggest wear item is the motor/engine assembly.

I’d keep it if you’re otherwise happy with the truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a 17 with 33k miles on it. Casually rolling down the road and the oil pressure light pops up. I know there have been a thread or two on the subject. Long story short after about a month at the dealership I’m getting a new engine. My question to you guys is should I keep it? I have some long term concerns. Any advice would be appreciated.

A point of clarification here.

was the truck found to be low on oil? if so, had you not checked it recently? I’m not trying to point the finger at you here, just trying to get more info.

yeah, I agree with previous posters, at a minimum, you get a year warranty from the dealer on the labor, and the motor itself IIRC. if you’re on the fence, pick up an ESP.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Investigate ignoring the sasquatch77 troll, who has been banned 3 or 4 times now, and will be again soon.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'd probably do a little research on the dealer doing the work. I wouldn't let my local dealership rotate my tires let alone R&R the engine. I usually have to take my truck out of town (1 hour away) for warranty work. The out of town dealer is amazing though. They're also a roush dealer and they seem to have pretty intelligent techs. Not sure if Roush dealers have higher standards for tech but might be worth looking into.

OP
OP
Gene Kirk

Gene Kirk

Reaction score
A point of clarification here.

was the truck found to be low on oil? if so, had you not checked it recently? I’m not trying to point the finger at you here, just trying to get more info.

yeah, I agree with previous posters, at a minimum, you get a year warranty from the dealer on the labor, and the motor itself IIRC. if you’re on the fence, pick up an ESP.

Actually about a month ago I took it in for an oil leak that I found in my garage. Dealer said it was a faulty filter and sent me on my way. When to low oil pressure light came on I immediately went to the dealership. After one week they concluded nothing wrong (this was on a Thursday). Friday they call and say the engine needs to be taken apart because they found metal in my oil.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually about a month ago I took it in for an oil leak that I found in my garage. Dealer said it was a faulty filter and sent me on my way. When to low oil pressure light came on I immediately went to the dealership. After one week they concluded nothing wrong (this was on a Thursday). Friday they call and say the engine needs to be taken apart because they found metal in my oil.

You had multiple problems that are well documented here from others going through the same. Have them give you a trade value and get something else.