GEN 1 Engine Reliable after Small Block Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miamiraptor72

Reaction score
So my 2013 Ford Raptor with 72k miles on it has been in the shop for the past month with them trying to diagnose a problem of it having low oil pressure at start-up for 10 seconds then going away. After their testing I went to see the truck and the engine sounded bad. Nasty knock and now oil pressure light comes on when ever engine is revved up high. Not sure what they did to make it do that. So now they want to replace the small block under extended warranty. My question is should I accept a small block replacement or ask for a long block? Or go even further and ask for a crate engine? I just worry that the engine won't be reliable for high mileage with one of their techs building the engine.

Any advice on how I should proceed with the warranty claim?

Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So my 2013 Ford Raptor with 72k miles on it has been in the shop for the past month with them trying to diagnose a problem of it having low oil pressure at start-up for 10 seconds then going away. After their testing I went to see the truck and the engine sounded bad. Nasty knock and now oil pressure light comes on when ever engine is revved up high. Not sure what they did to make it do that. So now they want to replace the small block under extended warranty. My question is should I accept a small block replacement or ask for a long block? Or go even further and ask for a crate engine? I just worry that the engine won't be reliable for high mileage with one of their techs building the engine.

Any advice on how I should proceed with the warranty claim?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. What you're referring to is the "short block". That means the cylinder block and rotating assembly without the heads. A competent tech in a good shop can replace the short block and bolt on the heads without an issue. Personally, I'd like to speak with the technician himself to verify that he is in fact certified. Any technician performing engine work should be certified in Ford Specialty 32 - Gas Engine Repair. If the tech is straight out of the quick lube, I'd have no faith. But if the tech is an experienced Ford veteran (as most are) and do heavy line/engine work all day, I wouldn't hesitate to have them perform the repairs.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would talked to the warranty writer and service manager at the dealer, I'm surprised that they would even want to do a short block replacement.
Most stories I've heard with engine replacement were done with long blocks.

If it were me I would pay the extra to have the long block. Refurbished heads, timing chains and guides would be something I want.

Good luck