Engine rebuild vs replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braptor2012

Reaction score
Just picked up a project 2018 Raptor, with 160K. Bought with blown turbos, clogged cats and leaking oil pan. After some monkey wrenching and trying to get it to turn over, I think the engine seized up (spun bearing according to my mechanic). Also smell gas in the oil which is pretty conclusive. Curious to hear opinions on engine rebuild vs replacement. Besides cost difference, hoping to get it running with as minimal collateral issues. Weighing the costs of engine replacement with benefit of warranty and possibly better ROI vs less upfront monetary investment with rebuild but potentially chasing other issues. I know turbos and cats are a separate cost regardless...
Thanks for your input.IMG-7641.jpg

714raptor

Reaction score
You can get a full long block from Mountune

Or, if you want to go big, you can get their stroker 4.1L short block

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If the cats are clogged enough, it's not gonna run at all. I learned this the hard way after doing an engine swap and new engine would not run either. LOL. Cut a 1" hole in the exhaust before the cat, damn thing fired right up.

Oh, and my story was the same, bought a non-running truck, was told the motor was bad, turned out to be cats. Not saying the original motor was in perfect working order, but we'll never know.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ideal combination of a cost effective and reliable repair is an OEM Long Block replacement. Tasca parts sells the long block for $4,356.

If you’re looking to upgrade to support more power, also consider RMB in addition to the Mountune options posted above. https://www.rmbmotorworks.com/17-19shortblocks
Dear lord i just read the description on that rmb stage 3. Honestly that thing would probably smoke a raptor R. And no ADM!

OP
OP
B

Braptor2012

Reaction score
If the cats are clogged enough, it's not gonna run at all. I learned this the hard way after doing an engine swap and new engine would not run either. LOL. Cut a 1" hole in the exhaust before the cat, damn thing fired right up.

Oh, and my story was the same, bought a non-running truck, was told the motor was bad, turned out to be cats. Not saying the original motor was in perfect working order, but we'll never know.
Bought knowing the turbos were leaking oil into the cats - so that was one of the first things we tried was cutting the downpipes just above the cats - it was better and had it running for a second until it wasn't :(
I may DM you, but did you replace with stock?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Bought knowing the turbos were leaking oil into the cats - so that was one of the first things we tried was cutting the downpipes just above the cats - it was better and had it running for a second until it wasn't :(
I may DM you, but did you replace with stock?
Mine was an old POS Chevy Zr2.