Engine rattle when cold starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ignore him/her. Always starting issues on this forum. Tell your dealership you have bad phasers. It has nothing to do with your turbos.

You say it like it was already pre-determined. I thought it might have been an issue behind the turbo wastegate. It was due for a change and it's not like I have to pay for another full-synthetic change if it comes to that; it's on them. And if they don't drop the engine it still needed the change before any more miles are put on it. But it's not been diagnosed yet so I'm standing by. Maybe at your dealership you can walk in and tell them exactly what to do and how to repair your truck under warranty but for the rest of us it's not that simple.

N_o_m_a_d

Reaction score
ignore him/her. Always starting issues on this forum. Tell your dealership you have bad phasers. It has nothing to do with your turbos.
I'm going to let the dealership tell me their end first then I will definitely bring this up. Thanks. Today I only had the recording and it was a "write-off" by the service desk guy of oil bleed off over extended inactive periods (overnight) due to a newer Ford design flaw and it's not uncommon. I let it go at that and I thought I would see what else I could find here so I can be ready to counter that theory if they tell me the same thing after a mechanic gets hands-on. What dealership did your work - in case for some reason my dealer hasn't came across this issue in newer vehicles yet? That way I can refer them. Or would Ford's service history database be based off VIN?

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
read this >> https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-poll.68228/

I'm going to let them tell me their end first then I will definitely bring this up. Thanks. Today I only had the recording and it was a "write-off" by the service desk guy of oil bleed off over extended inactive periods (overnight) due to a newer Ford design flaw and it's not uncommon. I let it go at that and I thought I would see what else I could find here so I can be ready to counter that theory if they tell me the same thing after a mechanic gets hands-on. What dealership did your work - in case for some reason my dealer hasn't came across this issue in newer vehicles yet? That way I can refer them. Or would Ford's service history database be based off VIN?

Wesley

Reaction score
My Ford dealership won't do anything about it. They are claiming they don't hear anything/nothing is wrong. I called Ford and they had a rep say that the car isn't at the dealership so they are closing my case even though it was her who told me to pick up the truck in order to continue my case. Im just shaking my head about this. The dealership said there isn't any TSB for this engine and model year regarding this noise thus its normal and nothing they can do to fix it. I will post up my video in my next reply.

Do we have a Ford rep here on this forum who is actually helpful and doesn't give the run around.

And to Raptor911, did the dealership give you a run around to get the truck fixed or were they super helpful and recognized the issue instantly? Thank you guys!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sent my dealership the video I posted and my service adviser responded right away .. .with phasers. Bring it in. My tech is working a truck now with the same issue.

Your dealership is on crack. Find another dealership.

Tell your dealership to let your truck sit overnight and then start it up. Then pick another EB truck in their lot and start it up. They will def hear the difference.

My Ford dealership won't do anything about it. They are claiming they don't hear anything/nothing is wrong. I called Ford and they had a rep say that the car isn't at the dealership so they are closing my case even though it was her who told me to pick up the truck in order to continue my case. Im just shaking my head about this. The dealership said there isn't any TSB for this engine and model year regarding this noise thus its normal and nothing they can do to fix it. I will post up my video in my next reply.

Do we have a Ford rep here on this forum who is actually helpful and doesn't give the run around.

And to Raptor911, did the dealership give you a run around to get the truck fixed or were they super helpful and recognized the issue instantly? Thank you guys!

Wesley

Reaction score
Thank you Raptor911. Yes my dealership saw my video and then said the tech will see what’s wrong and then proceed to tell me they didn’t find anything. They had my truck for a good 3/4 days, so they should have at least heard it once from a cold start up. I told them everything and they still said nothing they can do. Here’s the video. Let me know if you guys think I’m crazy or if my ford dealership needs to be put on blast.

Here you guys go with the video. Don't know if I should put the dealership on blast for not taking care of this. Let me know if you guys want to know which dealership it is.

N_o_m_a_d

Reaction score
I sent my dealership the video I posted and my service adviser responded right away .. .with phasers. Bring it in. My tech is working a truck now with the same issue.

Your dealership is on crack. Find another dealership.

Tell your dealership to let your truck sit overnight and then start it up. Then pick another EB truck in their lot and start it up. They will def hear the difference.
Which dealership did you use?

Thank you Raptor911. Yes my dealership saw my video and then said the tech will see what’s wrong and then proceed to tell me they didn’t find anything. They had my truck for a good 3/4 days, so they should have at least heard it once from a cold start up. I told them everything and they still said nothing they can do. Here’s the video. Let me know if you guys think I’m crazy or if my ford dealership needs to be put on blast.

Here you guys go with the video. Don't know if I should put the dealership on blast for not taking care of this. Let me know if you guys want to know which dealership it is.
I am going through something similar. What they personally witnessed was not severe enough under the TSB guidelines to warrant proceeding any further but said they would open a case after I spoke to the service manager and mechanic and showed them video of a more severe instance and described it's increasing severity.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is for sure failed cam phasers. Go to another dealer.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why they don't fix it. Ford pays for it. I was told by my dealership that the book calls for 16 billable hours and they ended up doing it in 9.

BTW .. your engine sounds worst than mine did. And after mine was fixed, I noticed the engine was much smoother and it had more power. See my receipt below after my dealership was done. Show that to your dealership.

phasers.jpg