engine rattle on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tireguy52

Reaction score
so did they fix yours or you end up with a new truck? if its just a matter of replacing that sensor i may be ok. if its blocked oil passages and they want to long block it i may put up a fight!

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so did they fix yours or you end up with a new truck? if its just a matter of replacing that sensor i may be ok. if its blocked oil passages and they want to long block it i may put up a fight!

MGD has no raptor, troll that uses multiple logins.

That being said, my truck sounds nothing like yours. Take it to the dealer!!

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... nope. BUT, I do have experience with this.
It is not a ‘bad’ sensor. This is an internal, mechanical failure.

Dabrwu

Reaction score
Had my 17 in for the identical noise last week. Dealership not exactly sure. Through discussion with Ford, they have ordered VCT and timing chain, one of which is shown as not available on their microfiche. Ford wanted them to tear apart but dealership reluctant without knowing parts availability. They gave it back to me and I am driving it.

aschiller98

Reaction score
Mine makes a similar noise, but only for a second after the autostart turns back on at a light. The dealer blames it on a typical noise of the v6 startup which seems bogus to me.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This truck has something bad going on that may be more than the ‘phasers.
<insert geeky star trek pun here>

That said, check out @MJslasherADMIN’s thread in the gen 2 engine section. The dealership re-flashed his first (buy back, ’17) and 2nd ’18 Raptor and both times the flash helped with the noise emanating from the engine.

give it a look.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Root cause for this is lack of enough oil on the phasers after the engine has shut down. In previous 3.5 Ecoboost, it was due to clogged oil feeders to the phasers. This clog was found to be related to casting debris (from manufacturing) or oil sludge buildup. This was supposed to be fixed in the 2nd gen ecoboost, but it looks like tuning is required to somehow boost oil flow to the phasers on startup. I am not sure how they are doing it, but everyone should get this tune updated ASAP.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
is this the cam phaser noise I have been hearing about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBqadMpXwBU

Dealer cant seem to get it to make this noise. i have 30 videos like this one that vary from 2 second to 20 of the rattle. surely I am not the only one?

There is a (new) tune where they increase the duty cycle to the phaser solenoid. Check mj's thread (look at the last few pages for his 18) Engine Trouble - Cam Phaser Replacement
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...forum.com/showthread.php?t=54883&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: