Engine rattle on cold start question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered my 19 and took deliver the day it showed up in mid August so it’s a July build. I noticed on cold starts there was a noticeable rattling noise after the revs dropped from startup. I chose to just ignore it and told myself it’s under warranty. Fast forward a couple months and 1300 miles on the odometer I changed the oil and am running Mobil 1 5W-30 and Motorcraft filter. Rattle is gone. Hard to believe, I know, but it’s true. I listen for it every time I cold start it and I haven’t heard it once since putting in full synthetic.

Posting for two reasons. 1. To inform anyone out there that may be experiencing the rattle, this may be somewhat useful info. Also worth noting, after seeing posts on oil type I know the Raptor supplement use to call for the synthetic blend. Mine (printed March 2019) says fully synthetic.

2. If anyone has experienced the rattle and knows what it may be I’d like to hear your experience.

When you spend the money we do on these trucks it sucks to know there may be an underlying issue that will “bite” you down the road. I absolutely love the truck. This has me thinking about spending the $2200-2400 on the extended warranty that covers everything to 6 years, 100,000 miles. I have a good dealership that I have a good relationship with. I know the service manager and he’s rock solid so if I have an engine issue I plan on riding it out (if it ever comes to that) and just fixing any issues.

Any thoughts?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So do you have other evidence that the rattle may go away with other oils?

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you have other evidence that the rattle may go away with other oils?
Absolutely not. I’m still surprised putting in Mobile 1 made a difference but it did. When I say engine rattle take that with a grain of salt. It did sound like a slight tick or light rattle but it was very light and did not concern me.