Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moreda55

Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer now. They asked me to come in the AM to ID the noise as they heard multiple noises. I told them to fix all the ones that are not normal. LOL

Same noise as you guys described. Loud rattle at startup. Seems common with all of the Ecoboost engines from research. Longer it sits the worse it gets. Ford has a big problem on their hands. I hope it is solved with a PCM flash as I have read.

I did get a loaner FX4 with the 5.0. I want my truck back even more!

Ha i got a fusion as a loaner... what a poor way to travel

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, the Raptor Ecodiesel...

Not really, but the motor is screwed up and idling rough.

Gromacki33

Reaction score
Received the diagnosis today. They are replacing the VCT but they need to order it so who knows when ill get it back. Any idea how long the actual repair takes?

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped mine off today for the same issue...Stuck in a edge for the time being....

WooHoo! I have the Raptor Eco Diesel too! Sounds just like yours. I would say we have a limited edition truck but this does not appear to be limited. LOL

Has anybody had their truck fixed for at least 10K miles? I have a feeling that all these CAM Phaser fixes with delayed parts are Ford using trucks as guinea pigs to fix their problem. This thread alone has a bunch of trucks with the same problem and it appears this has been going on for a while. No TSB from Ford after a year plus of problems.

Very Strange if you ask me!

Last edited:

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Can’t they just throw a Toyota cam phaser in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WooHoo! I have the Raptor Eco Diesel too! Sounds just like yours. I would say we have a limited edition truck but this does not appear to be limited. LOL

Has anybody had their truck fixed for at least 10K miles? I have a feeling that all these CAM Phaser fixes with delayed parts are Ford using trucks as guinea pigs to fix their problem. This thread alone has a bunch of trucks with the same problem and it appears this has been going on for a while. No TSB from Ford after a year plus of problems.

Very Strange if you ask me!

Something is strange for sure. If there was an inherent problem in the cam timing actuators (phasers), there would be a much larger number of trucks with the problem. Mine has no problems in 16k miles and I'm quite sure there are many others. There does seem to be a likely manufacturing problem with some batch of the phasers themselves though. Third party vendors are notorious for ******** shit up for the OEM to sort out eventually. If they were all bad it would be quite simple to resolve the root cause.

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is strange for sure. If there was an inherent problem in the cam timing actuators (phasers), there would be a much larger number of trucks with the problem. Mine has no problems in 16k miles and I'm quite sure there are many others. There does seem to be a likely manufacturing problem with some batch of the phasers themselves though. Third party vendors are notorious for ******** shit up for the OEM to sort out eventually. If they were all bad it would be quite simple to resolve the root cause.

There is more to it than a batch of bad parts as this has been going since the first 2017 Raptors based on the research I have done. They did not solve the problem the last time with redesigned parts. I have friends with standard 3.5s in 2015 and 16 F150s here locally reporting the rattle. In my opinion there is design flaw with the engine that is yet to be diagnosed. Ford will figure it out eventually.

We actually may have banned the one guy that seemed to have the most knowledge of this issue. Sasquatch aka MGD may have been right. That was hard to type!