Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Warranty, no foul if their motor blows a rod through the block = new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious does anyone with this problem have a tune installed? If so any issues from the dealer? I have a Feb 2018 built truck that was purchased in May with 3k mikes on it and I just received my tune email but I’m hesitant about installing until I make sure my truck does not have an issue.

Don’t install.

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That it is why I am going to wait to see what Ford comes up with. This appears to be a wide spread engine problem. There are documented cases of CAM Phasers being replaced and the rattle coming back. What I do not understand is that mine is hit or miss unless it sits for a long period of time. If the oil is draining down then why would the rattlle not be consistent? There is probably more to it than just replacing the CAM Phasers.

I would suggest buying the extended warranty. Maybe if we wait long enough and the motor blows we will get the mythical 7.0. LOL

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do the CAM Phasers have the same problem on the regular 3.5L eco or is it just the Raptor engine?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm? Thinking about the issue and the problem seems to mostly occur after the first oil change. Ford dealerships are notorious for using their bulk 5w20 oil in everything they service with no reference to the actual viscosity requirements. The 2014 Fiesta ST 1.6 turbo required 5w30 yet the dealers consistently put 5w20 in them. Same with the Focus RS that requires 5w50 and again the minimum wage goons used 5w20. It’s really hard to prove a problem caused by low viscosity oil, but the cam vvt actuators depend on the oil viscosity for accuracy. A leak-down issue is certainly internal sealing or oil vis problem.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm? Thinking about the issue and the problem seems to mostly occur after the first oil change. Ford dealerships are notorious for using their bulk 5w20 oil in everything they service with no reference to the actual viscosity requirements. The 2014 Fiesta ST 1.6 turbo required 5w30 yet the dealers consistently put 5w20 in them. Same with the Focus RS that requires 5w50 and again the minimum wage goons used 5w20. It’s really hard to prove a problem caused by low viscosity oil, but the cam vvt actuators depend on the oil viscosity for accuracy. A leak-down issue is certainly internal sealing or oil vis problem.
I got my oil changed yesterday at 3,000 miles along with the recall work. My paperwork says they used 5w-30 blended. But who knows what they actually used. I guess I may find out in about 5000 miles...

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my oil changed yesterday at 3,000 miles along with the recall work. My paperwork says they used 5w-30 blended. But who knows what they actually used. I guess I may find out in about 5000 miles...

Yeah, the paperwork is always correct because their vehicle database spits it out. That doesn't mean that's what they put in though. I'm not saying for sure that's the root cause, just pointing out that it CAN cause such things and that the dealer goons do it on a regular basis.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just sat four days and sounded like a 2000 Powerstroke for a few seconds after light off. Idle at lights is 500 very rough.

moreda55

Reaction score
My tuck was at the dealer ship for a week and I ended up picking it up since i had a camping trip planned for a month ahead of time.. Same engine rattle on startup. but it typically is only on the initial start up, if you turn the truck off and then back on it won't do it.
I now have to take the truck back when I get home as it also had a couple random times it smoked so they are looking to do the turbos.