Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MedCityRaptor

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor as well with a louder startup. Taking it into the dealership on Monday 6/17 to see what they say. I have no CEL or other issues. I am going to have them do the engine block heater recall with oil change originally and want to see what they also state about the startup issue as well! I will update on their response.

yeayeaatou

Reaction score
I have start up rattle. Gets worse the longer it sits. Dealership said since no codes are thrown they cant do anything. Manager said if it was his truck he would be upset also. He told me to file an escalation complaint with Ford Customer Service and that will enable him to look deeper into the issue. I did that today.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have start up rattle. Gets worse the longer it sits. Dealership said since no codes are thrown they cant do anything. Manager said if it was his truck he would be upset also. He told me to file an escalation complaint with Ford Customer Service and that will enable him to look deeper into the issue. I did that today.

Get a new dealer, or trade yours in to them since they think there is no problem!

Also, go here for more information and vote in the poll.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-poll.68228/

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will fail again. Have appointment scheduled in 3 weeks. Had cam phasers replaced last fall. 38k, early build '18. Exactly same noise. If I knew a '19 wouldn't do this to me again, I'd trade her in..

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got a similar reply except the dealer told me Ford told them not to go forward with the repair. They said they already did a cam phaser repair and the noise came back within 15k miles. I'm trying another dealer. My start up noise has gotten louder over the last 10 days and I've had a strange loss of power on occasion for a second or 2. It's like the truck just hits a flat spot and the power cuts off while my foot is on the gas.

Get a new dealer, or trade yours in to them since they think there is no problem!

Also, go here for more information and vote in the poll.
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-poll.68228/

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I got a similar reply except the dealer told me Ford told them not to go forward with the repair. I'm assuming becuase I've retained a lawyer or they were bsing not wanting to do the repair. They said they already did a cam phaser repair and the noise came back within 15k miles. I'm trying another dealer. My start up noise has gotten louder over the last 10 days and I've had a strange loss of power on occasion for a second or 2. It's like the truck just hits a flat spot and the power cuts off while my foot is on the gas.

Is the loss of power down low? I had this on my old Mustang Cobra, went through the “not throwing any codes” drama, and finally convinced a mech that it was not normal, regardless of codes and got the ok for a tear down. it was was a dead timing chain tensioner. This sounds like 2 separate issues.

if you’ve already had phasers replaced, do we know if there’s a mechanism to actually test the phasers that are currently in the motor? They’re oil pressure actuated, right? If you’re getting the rattle, only at start up and the phasers are functional, and are getting pressurized and actuated by the solenoids, you’ve got an oil flow/pressure problem. What else is left as a variable in this system?

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the phaser rattle at start up and then a warm knock which I've seen could be the vct. The knock can be heard a few feet from the truck and I've had multiple people comment on it. It's not the injectors or the hpfp. It's a low thumping that changes when you hit the gas.

The loss of power happened a few times and then I made a mental note to observe what conditions it happens under. I've since then noticed it happens 2- 3 seconds after I hit the gas pedal with maybe 20-40% pressure and always after I just came off acceleration. Example: I'm accelerating up to 50mph and lay off the gas for maybe 5-10 seconds. I then press the gas pedal 20-40% pressure it takes off at first and then dies or hits a flat spot. I've honestly never experienced anything like it before in any vehicles I've driven. It's doesn't feel like turbo lag. It takes off at first and then the motor hits a flat spot and doesn't pull for 1-2 seconds. Probably unrelated to the timing issues but who knows. The earliest the new dealer could see me is the beginning of next month. Hopefully they get this stuff figured out.

Is the loss of power down low? I had this on my old Mustang Cobra, went through the “not throwing any codes” drama, and finally convinced a mech that it was not normal, regardless of codes and got the ok for a tear down. it was was a dead timing chain tensioner. This sounds like 2 separate issues.

if you’ve already had phasers replaced, do we know if there’s a mechanism to actually test the phasers that are currently in the motor? They’re oil pressure actuated, right? If you’re getting the rattle, only at start up and the phasers are functional, and are getting pressurized and actuated by the solenoids, you’ve got an oil flow/pressure problem. What else is left as a variable in this system?

Last edited:

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is beginning to rattle at cold start and it shudders when at idle occasionally. Just keep driving it? Head to the desert Thursday.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is beginning to rattle at cold start and it shudders when at idle occasionally. Just keep driving it? Head to the desert Thursday.
Mine has been doing it for a while. You should be fine. When it gets really bad you will know it. It will be loud.

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the phaser rattle at start up and then a warm knock which I've seen could be the vct. The knock can be heard a few feet from the truck and I've had multiple people comment on it. It's not the injectors or the hpfp. It's a low thumping that changes when you hit the gas.

The loss of power happened a few times and then I made a mental note to observe what conditions it happens under. I've since then noticed it happens 2- 3 seconds after I hit the gas pedal with maybe 20-40% pressure and always after I just came off acceleration. Example: I'm accelerating up to 50mph and lay of the gas for maybe 5-10 seconds. I then press the gas pedal 20-40% pressure it takes off at first and then dies or hits a flat spot. I've honestly never experienced anything like it before in any vehicles I've driven. It's doesn't feel like turbo lag. It takes off at first and then the motor hits a flat spot and doesn't pull for 1-2 seconds. Probably unrelated to the timing issues but who knows. The earliest the new dealer could see me is the beginning of next month. Hopefully they get this stuff figured out.

Mine is similar in that I hit dead spot, it’s unnerving to say the least. I will also add that I do not have the rattle at startup and haven’t had the phasers done, so I’m thinking the two aren’t related. I do have a slightly rough idle however. I spoke with the dealer about it and they said “yup, it’s there” but we can’t look further into it until CEL (fraaaking annoying). I’m going to bring it up again as I have a really hard downshifts in 8th and in 3rd, I’m thinking maybe it’s more of a torque converter issue.... also I will add that I have a CAI and PC, both have not made the situation any better or worse.