Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm? I’m quite sure the problem doesn’t affect ALL of the new Raptor 3.5 HO EB engines. Mine doesn’t make any abnormal noises at startup or otherwise. My 2018 has a build date of Jan 2018 and I bought it on Jan 31, 2018. I have just over 16,000 miles all still stock except for an MPT tune since ~1500 miles. I do all my own service/repairs and did my first oil change at 1500 miles, then again at 5k and every 5k after. I use 5w30 full synthetic oil and OEM style Motorcraft oil filter.

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I bought my truck out in PA (I’m from NJ) and the local dealer near me said they don’t have any loaners available, and they might need my truck for months. They also said there is a known issue on the Raptors. From watching videos on YouTube I have found 2 distinct rattle noises. One more severe than the other. Mine is the less severe, so I really hope it can be fixed via a flash. I’ve attached their e-mail response below:

‘My manager was just looking over our email conversations. He advised me that your truck may end up here for a while, months even. There is a on going issue with the Raptor engine that Ford is aware of but it takes a while for clearance and the job itself to get done. You are more than welcome to leave it with us but I will not have another vehicle for you and you are already aware of how backed up we are.’

What makes me wonder is the ‘clearance’ verbiage.

They said Ford wanted them to perform "testing". Whatever that means. My dealer said the startup rattle is not isolated to the Raptor. They have changed cam phasers on other Ecoboost Engines and mentioned the Transmission Aux Pump.They also mentioned that Ford just issued something on a PCM flash.

My theory is this is isolated to early 18 builds as mine was built the first week of production. The trucks that were not effected have a different PCM flash. One member here had an engine replaced and the rattle came back. Flashed the PCM and it was gone.

They said worse case it would be a week or two to get it resolved. Ford built it and they can fix it.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm? I’m quite sure the problem doesn’t affect ALL of the new Raptor 3.5 HO EB engines. Mine doesn’t make any abnormal noises at startup or otherwise. My 2018 has a build date of Jan 2018 and I bought it on Jan 31, 2018. I have just over 16,000 miles all still stock except for an MPT tune since ~1500 miles. I do all my own service/repairs and did my first oil change at 1500 miles, then again at 5k and every 5k after. I use 5w30 full synthetic oil and OEM style Motorcraft oil filter.
Why did you do the first change at such low miles?

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer this morning and started the truck and no rattle. Just my luck. Showed the Engine Tech and Service Manager a video I made of the rattle and they think it is the transmission aux pump. They cannot replace it until it throws a code. It is non essential so it will not leave me on the side of the road. I told them I will make some more videos. They said it is now documented and when it breaks they will fix it. A 70K truck should not make that noise at startup, but whatever I have better things to do than chase noises on my truck.

The Engine Tech was not aware of any known wide spread engine problems with the Raptor and he said that the Ecoboost motors in general are noisy beasts. He said it was better to wait until the Engineers at Ford figure it out instead of throwing parts at an unknown problem. I agreed with this approach since the truck performs fine. So good news for me since I can get my truck back. Tired of driving the FX4.

Frypie

Reaction score
Mine was cam phasers (I wasn't even sure what those were before this) The dealer had no problem admitting that is what it was. I had to wait for Ford to get the new parts. I'm sure they had to wait for the parts to be redesigned so that it wouldn't happen again.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer this morning and started the truck and no rattle. Just my luck. Showed the Engine Tech and Service Manager a video I made of the rattle and they think it is the transmission aux pump. They cannot replace it until it throws a code. It is non essential so it will not leave me on the side of the road. I told them I will make some more videos. They said it is now documented and when it breaks they will fix it. A 70K truck should not make that noise at startup, but whatever I have better things to do than chase noises on my truck.

The Engine Tech was not aware of any known wide spread engine problems with the Raptor and he said that the Ecoboost motors in general are noisy beasts. He said it was better to wait until the Engineers at Ford figure it out instead of throwing parts at an unknown problem. I agreed with this approach since the truck performs fine. So good news for me since I can get my truck back. Tired of driving the FX4.

I travel for work and every time I start up my Raptor after an extensive sit, 3-4+ days it sounds like a diesel for a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18LeadfootNNJ

Reaction score
Noticed the SAME noise on cold starts about two weeks ago. Finally had an appointment this past Friday at a dealer with a loaner available (FINALLY!).

My dealers service dept is amazing! Told them my concerns, what I’m hearing on cold startup and what I think it is. They call me back today and say that they confirmed the cold startup noise, told me it’s BOTH cam phasers. Great problem confirmed.......buuuuut, they don’t expect parts to come in until NOVEMBER!?!?!?! Wow! Was Told to pick up the truck and drive it until the parts come in. The parts are just not available, what I wanna know is, is ford working on redesigning that part? Cause I don’t want a 1 for 1 replacement of a part that’s known to be defective.....F that, get out of warranty and then have to shell out big money for this work again?......no thank you.

I asked them if it was possible to damage the engine doing this, they said not really unless the motor jumps timing (which it shouldn’t) and the service guy said, if the engine does indeed blow up, it’s under warranty.

I’m thinking driving it around for another 2 months like this is pretty sketch.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t we give Mr. Weephole crap for saying the engine wasn’t ready, cam phaser problems? I always wondered if he worked at Ford or knew someone who did. Reality is he was right.