Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if it is said Phasers and bad coil design is has Ford designed a replacement or replacing with same weak design? I don't want to take mine in for them to not eliminate the issue? Has anyone had the phasers, chains, tensioner, etc replaced and experienced the problem return?

They replace with the same parts, and it will fail again.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are you trolling yourself again?

it’s already been confirmed that new parts are being installed for the very few trucks that have an actual issue.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you trolling yourself again?

it’s already been confirmed that new parts are being installed for the very few trucks that have an actual issue.
Actually..... trucks that have gotten the revised parts have already failed again. There are certainly a lot of new people having issues on boards/social media as these trucks get past 20-30k miles.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
again, there’s a difference between start up rattle and an actual problem. Persistent, post start up rattle, probably a problem. That said, internet forums and social media are a poor metric for tracking numbers.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
again, there’s a difference between start up rattle and an actual problem. Persistent, post start up rattle, probably a problem. That said, internet forums and social media are a poor metric for tracking numbers.

Perfectly stated. I know mine has a rattle on start up goes go away once everything warms up and circulates. We have pin pointed this to the waste gates rattling and not the cam phaser as a few are reporting. I actually have this same issue on one of my other (non Ford) cars that is turbo. Really not an issue but just the way they are designed.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep us posted. I really hope Ford does the right thing and does not blame the tune.
Finally got around to taking the truck in. Sure enough they order cam phasers, so it will take a few days to change them out. They did ask if I had a tune and at the time he asked me I did not, minus changing the gear and tire ratio it was stock. They seem to be covering under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, make sure you add to the cam phaser poll. I've see a whole lot more members post they have issues than voted.

Turbo_lander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took mine in today. Had a few videos on my phone and the service adviser was like yup timing chain. He didn't even doubt it and gave me a 19 King Ranch Diesel as a loaner. They are going to get into it tomorrow and make sure. While it's there I asked them to look into at the 10spd for funky shifts.

One other thing I have them looking at is the BOV/Waste gate too. The BOV sounded weird the other day.

sunburst1

Reaction score
Bought a CPO 2017 with just under 25K miles. Had no idea about the rattle , until it started to happen.

Haven't even made the first payment & I'm upset with the stealership , big time..

They had to know about this issue , Its A CPO vehicle & put less than 500 miles on it.

Dishonesty on them , IMO .

Love the truck and am keeping it despite the "issue"...

After reading this thread twice , don't trust it would be fixed right , if it even can be at this point...

WTF , bottom line is should have done my homework before not after...

In addition , IMO , its a total worm hole one should not travel lightly , once

one makes the jump , no turning back.. the folks at the Dearborn plant are the best Ford has..

Once the engine is ripped apart after is a total crap shoot , as to if it can ever be put together

right again as it came from the factory ? I say not , OMMV.

Last edited: