Engine rattle/noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing complicated about a turbo system. they have been well proven since the 70's. Do the required maintenance and a little common sense and they will run forever.

I have had many turbo cars since 2000, and this is my 4th 3.5 eco boost motor and I have never had a single issue.
13-sho (50k miles)
14- ex sport (104k miles)
18- ex sport (new)
18 - raptor (new)
Thanks for the piece of mind, I am just concerned about what I've been reading lately and the idea of anyone having there new truck torn down because of a bad batch of phasers just sucks

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the piece of mind, I am just concerned about what I've been reading lately and the idea of anyone having there new truck torn down because of a bad batch of phasers just sucks

According to my service advisors and the technician doing the work, it’s common. I understand that’s common from their perspective, not necessarily the owners en mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing complicated about a turbo system. they have been well proven since the 70's. Do the required maintenance and a little common sense and they will run forever.

I have had many turbo cars since 2000, and this is my 4th 3.5 eco boost motor and I have never had a single issue.
13-sho (50k miles)
14- ex sport (104k miles)
18- ex sport (new)
18 - raptor (new)

I agree with you. I have owned several turbo vehicles as well. They do require a bit more TLC than a NA motor. One thing to remember is to bring the motor to temp before driving off, I have done this for years on both American and European turbo vehicles no issues to the motor to date.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the biggest thing is to just drive very normal the last mile or so before you shut the car off. no need for old school turbo timers or anything like that.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018, purchased Nov '17, was in the shop for a full month for cam phasers. Started the startup rattle before 20k miles. Couldn't consistently duplicated until after 20k when I brought it in. It was also making my oil prematurely dirty and needed to be changed at 2.5k according to the tech. I brought it in and they kept it for two days but needed it back for a vacation trip before it was diagnosed. I got her back after the month in the shop and check engine light came on and had a vibration at WOT on the highway, brought it back the next day, diagnosis was to replace the high pressure fuel injector pump.. Also on backorder like the cam phasers. They just got the part yesterday and are telling me I'll have it back by Monday, 8 weeks total in the shop.. Yes, the fusion sucks for a 6'2" guy but they did give me the loaner after the first week in the shop. 5W30 Mobile 1 full synthetic always changed myself. No engine mods. Never had anything even close to this happen before (at least a dozen fords in my past) but I've never had a truck like this before either..

carsonmd

Reaction score
Is this a problem with a certain production time/run of raptors? Only limited to high output version of the v2 3.5 EB?

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the part numbers off the replacement phasers and then tried to find them online, nothing. There is a mismatch between the phasers I am installing and what Tasca and others show as current. The new phasers also appear to have a serial number.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tech basically said he’s been doing cam phasers for five months straight. It’s a nasty, busy job.

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My June 2017 build has been in the shop for two weeks now for cam phasers and injector solenoids. The parts are in but in line to be replaced. Does anyone know if these parts have been redesigned or modified? If not, this problem will just happen again.