GEN 2 Engine ping or valve train noise???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With about 1000 miles on my gen 2 and in sport mode while climbing through the gears I heard either engine ping or valve train noise....only heard it once and I haven't really tried to mimic it. After watching Barnetts videos I'm scared that I could have possible cam phaser issues in time as well.. the noise came about after slightly letting off throttle, so first I thought turbo boost actuator noise.. truck sounds fine on idle and has driven fine ever since..let me know if anyone has heard anything like it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. It could be nothing, it could be someone beside you with a bad catalytic converter, it could be something. Chances are, if you have either pinging or a mechanical issue it will be repeatable. If you suspect you can repeat it, I’d get a go-pro and mount in the engine bay and take it for a spin. You want a cam with decent sound.

The actuators are kind of loud at start up but I don’t hear them otherwise.

OP
OP
Bowewelding

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmoa..when I first heard that noise I thought for sure the truck was going back to the dealer. But just as fast as it started it had stopped and nothing seems to have come of it.. I ruled out pinging because I had 91 octane in it and I had been driving it kinda hard with no other noises heard...my biggest concern is those cam phaseres and maybe I heard a little valve train collision..oil pressure seems good at the gauge. How did u guys "break in your engines?"

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Lmoa..when I first heard that noise I thought for sure the truck was going back to the dealer. But just as fast as it started it had stopped and nothing seems to have come of it.. I ruled out pinging because I had 91 octane in it and I had been driving it kinda hard with no other noises heard...my biggest concern is those cam phaseres and maybe I heard a little valve train collision..oil pressure seems good at the gauge. How did u guys "break in your engines?"

Personally, I did my best to reenact the chase scene from Bullitt using the Raptor.

:biggrin:
then, once the test drive was over, things got serious.

OP
OP
Bowewelding

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response..i ruled out ping noise aswell...and i think if I had any sort of cam phaser issue, or problem it would throw a light?? Do you guys run fully synthetic oil?? And how many miles?

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Cam phaser rattle (noise they make prior to failure) won't throw a CEL. When phasers fail, they stretch the timing chain. That event will trigger the CEL.

OP
OP
Bowewelding

Bowewelding

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to pull the oil and fill with full syn motorcraft..what do u guys run?