Engine Oil Requirement in Raptor Supplement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just several days ago I read about the Synthetic oil definition where a "full synthetic" doesn't have to actually contain 100% synthetic base...but there are oils that do contain 100% syn oil base..

I run Redline (yes 100% Syn base) in the recommended 5w-30. It's important to keep with the manufactures recommended weight oil because todays engines are engineered differently then engines of past..On start up the thinner oils get to vital areas quicker, many HO engines have oil squirters, and many engines with Variable Cam Timing use the oil as a hydraulic fluid to accomplish this and a heavier weight oil acts differently for the proper cam timing.

Some manufactures actually throw a CEL (Check Eng Light) if it detects the wrong oil.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Afraid to ask, but what does Ford fill these trucks up with from the factory? Motorcraft blend?

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Afraid to ask, but what does Ford fill these trucks up with from the factory? Motorcraft blend?
Never be afraid to ask :)
I'm pretty darn sure they come with Motorcrafts synthetic blend, which my Owners Manual recommends for normal mild temperature usage...

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That could be true. My ‘19 Raptor supplement recommends Motorcraft full synthetic. I have FordPass points to use. If the dealer does as the manual says, I’ll burn up those points for service with them.

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe in a Mobil 1 as well. Ran it through many vehicles and never had any engine problems. I also used more expensive Amsoil and Royal Purple. Good products, but didn’t believe they were doing any more protection than the Mobil 1 was. I do use Valvoline VR1 racing in my street strip car, but again that’s for extreme circumstances I think. To my knowledge a synthetic blend only needs to be 5% synthetic to earn that label. That’s pretty poor to me.

Is everyone adhering to the recommended oil weight that Ford says to use? It would be 5W-30 down here for me.
Yep, 5W-30 and a motorcraft filter. This is my first forced induction daily. Hope she doesn’t let me down.

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be true. My ‘19 Raptor supplement recommends Motorcraft full synthetic. I have FordPass points to use. If the dealer does as the manual says, I’ll burn up those points for service with them.
I’m not using my free oil change. It’s. $67k truck. I’ll make a trip to Wally World and spend $40 and do it myself.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s the cheapest place for Mobil 1. I tend to use Mobil 1 filters or K&N if I find them first.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only Raptor supplement that states "full synthetic" was the updated version for later 19's. From 17 - early 19, it states "synthetic blend."

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t doubt it, but I can’t imagine why Ford recommended a blend. It took a long time before the automakers recommended or actually put synthetics in vehicles. In most cases will dino oil make an engine last 100k+ with regular oil changes? Probably so. So a blend will give that much more protection. And full synthetic obviously even more. I think for the average vehicle synthetics just allowed for extended oil change intervals. For really high performance and those engines specially designed for it, synthetics are more a must.

Can anyone remember when GM first started filling new Vette’s from the factory with Mobil 1? Oh wait how are the rings going to break in and seat? Lol.