GEN 2 Engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmahone5

Reaction score
Having engine noise on my 2017 ecoboost Raptor 49K sounds like a knock almost coming from I believe the right side of engine. Extremely loud on auto start but noise never goes away and now u can even here it resonating out the right side exhaust pipe when approaching truck from the rear. Curious to see if any other Gen 2 owners have had any engine noise or issues from motor.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at post regarding engine knock. It’s a common issue and has to do with cam phasers and chain tensioner.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been posting this on other threads to help members narrow down any possible issues they’re facing. My 2017 needed a longblock due to a rattle on startup. The rattle lasted several seconds on startup, then went away. Directly prior to dropping the truck off, I did feel a slight shudder while stopping at a light. Other than that, no other issues. I bought the truck with 7,193 miles and it went into the dealer at about 800 miles later. The notes on the paperwork stated the truck had an oil leak on the passenger side above the engine shield (?) and had low oil. They topped it off, symptoms persisted. After a bit of inspection, they found one of the piston skirts to be cracked.

They had the truck for a month and full longblock was replaced.

Take it to dealer OP

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Been posting this on other threads to help members narrow down any possible issues they’re facing. My 2017 needed a longblock due to a rattle on startup. The rattle lasted several seconds on startup, then went away. Directly prior to dropping the truck off, I did feel a slight shudder while stopping at a light. Other than that, no other issues. I bought the truck with 7,193 miles and it went into the dealer at about 800 miles later. The notes on the paperwork stated the truck had an oil leak on the passenger side above the engine shield (?) and had low oil. They topped it off, symptoms persisted. After a bit of inspection, they found one of the piston skirts to be cracked.

They had the truck for a month and full longblock was replaced.

Take it to dealer OP

Read the 1st post again.