GEN 2 Engine making strange noise. Time for a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it is Ford vehicle and the dealerships represent Ford in some manner, the cam phaser repairs are warrantied by Ford and not the dealer, so try and get Ford involved and maybe they will warrant a new motor for you or make the dealer pay for it. Another member just had his motor warranty approved by Ford. Maybe @FordTechOne can better explain it to you, than I can. It seems to be the process of choice when the dealer doesnt come through.
Yea I will wait to see his response as I’m still not following. I can be dumb sometimes. I just would never think that ford would warranty a replacement for a 200k mile motor.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I will wait to see his response as I’m still not following. I can be dumb sometimes. I just would never think that ford would warranty a replacement for a 200k mile motor.
Oh, I gotcha ya, I must of missed that part with the mileage. In this case, the dealer should be covering some of the cost, since they misdiagnosed as fordtech mentioned. There are other avenues you could check out for motor rebuilding, other than waiting and spending 14 k at a dealer as well. Might save you some money to take your raptor elsewhere.

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is complete. Going to pick it up this afternoon.

Final bill: $13,649.38

FML

Rhebbles

Reaction score
to the OP:
that was all out of pocket? ive been thinking about this situation & which route id go? and i THINK... oooowee! for that much cash id have taken it to a reputable builder and just had it rebuilt with golden eagle, cp, carillo, arp, etc. internals/hardware and boosted TF outta it...BUUUT, these things (Raptors) are damn near perfect from to get go, so having a ford oem motor swapped in by ford mechanics that has a ford 100k warranty isnt bad either?

since your truck HAD pretty fkn high mileage (shows these really are beasts), did you have any other wear & tear issues with any other engine components/parts? ie; any issues with the turbos, gaskets/seals worn, any issues with valvetrain/head or ANYTHING before leading up to this? or was it pretty much all good... sans the og cam phaser rattle & replacement?
ive had RSM Ford replace mine but the rattle came back after a few weeks of driving. havent had any issues since, just wondering what to do...im currently at 80k and am wondering if i should have ford do a leakdown & compression check, have them "refresh" it or just leave it and run it til it goes buhbye?

OP
OP
C

colticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to the OP:
that was all out of pocket? ive been thinking about this situation & which route id go? and i THINK... oooowee! for that much cash id have taken it to a reputable builder and just had it rebuilt with golden eagle, cp, carillo, arp, etc. internals/hardware and boosted TF outta it...BUUUT, these things (Raptors) are damn near perfect from to get go, so having a ford oem motor swapped in by ford mechanics that has a ford 100k warranty isnt bad either?

since your truck HAD pretty fkn high mileage (shows these really are beasts), did you have any other wear & tear issues with any other engine components/parts? ie; any issues with the turbos, gaskets/seals worn, any issues with valvetrain/head or ANYTHING before leading up to this? or was it pretty much all good... sans the og cam phaser rattle & replacement?
ive had RSM Ford replace mine but the rattle came back after a few weeks of driving. havent had any issues since, just wondering what to do...im currently at 80k and am wondering if i should have ford do a leakdown & compression check, have them "refresh" it or just leave it and run it til it goes buhbye?
Yea, it was all out of pocket. I did not have a warranty for over 200k miles. It was a big hit but I needed it done. I thought about taking it to a builder but it is my daily and I like that ford was able to put in a new motor with a pretty good warranty pretty quickly. Im afraid finding a place to rebuild and for them to perform it would have taken much longer. I don't do much with it but rive, so the power benefits of a built motor really don't interest me too much. If it was a tool/weekend truck then yea I would have def went that route.

Other than that noise after getting on it hard, there were no issues or telltale signs of problems with the truck. I feel as if I never did that, I would still be on the original motor today.

After several thousand miles of driving on the new motor, I am pleased with it all. Truck drives and handles amazing. Even better than it was brand new. Now all I really have to worry about is the transmission.