Engine knock under load ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 no tunes installed when this happened, COBB CAI & Intercooler. Other than that it’s stock. 63k miles. Driving to work this morning and noticed a subtle knock getting off the hwy under load. Parked it, kept it in drive, one foot on the break and gas, revved it to about 2-2.5k rpms and heard the knock even louder. Sounds like a broken radiator fan. The higher the rpms the faster the knock would sound. Has anyone had a similar issue ? I’m supposed to drive to Pismo beach tomorrow morning and this crap happens

OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super super loud knock as I merged onto the freeway ( 1/2 throttle ) I exited and it died at the light ☹️

OP
OP
benbachh

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On second thought, I had my cam phasers replaced twice. Couple thousand miles after the second replacement the truck still had a slight rattle/ticking noise, took it into get an oil change but they didn’t have time to look over the truck
(2 weeks out for an appointment) didn’t think much of it because it has been happening since the first replacement. I wonder if bad cam phasers can cause the engine to blow like this

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, you're just out of warranty? Or do you have extended warranty for that. Doesn't sound cheap. Sucks!

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just reminded me to check my oil level. I frequently think of it while adding gas, but I can't reach the dipstick without a stool or trying to climb on the tire (5'9"). Had to bring a stool on a long road trip!

Maybe they didn't add enough oil during/after the first repair? Good luck! Regardless, I'd be pushing for a repair under warranty with the history you've described.