Engine Knock Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Behrman

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help . I have a 12 6.2l with 92K . Just had plugs done and have about 5200 miles on 5W-20 Penzoil Platinum oil change .
Today I took a 200 mile trip to Houston and when I pulled into parking garage I could hear my truck knocking/tapping . It was not doing this before I left and I have never noticed any rattle or knocking when starting truck up. The knock was hard enough to where my sister who knows absolutely nothing about vehicles asked what was wrong .
Oil pressure and everything was Fine no CEL light . So I started my trip home after Calling my dealer. I stopped at Bucees to fill up truck was still knocking when I left . When I arrived back at my house the knock was gone . It sounded like possible phasers or lash adjusters . Any ideas on what this could be ? I have an extended warranty but it won't do me any good if truck is not displaying issues when I take it infor service. I included a link to my YouTube that has video which you can clearly hear knock .

Tx State

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know these trucks are known to have loud valve trains but that does seem a little excessive. I also think mine is starting to get louder as well I might have it looked at here soon.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust leak or loose plug sounds like to me , i would do a re torque. Sounds like old 4.6 motors when they had a loose plug.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was leaning towards the exhaust leak myself... Given the recent plug change, I'd start there.

MaTm

Reaction score
Plugs are a pain to do, but a good first check. Kind of sounds like an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
Behrman

Behrman

Reaction score
It is not plugs and not an exhaust leak that I can find. Going to take it by a mechanic I Know and leave it to try and at least get a diagnoses/opinion on what it could be

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? Only a few bucks at Harbor freight and great for narrowing down stuff like this...

Gotlag1789

Reaction score
Suuuuper old bump, but any luck/further info on this?

my 2013 just randomly started doing this after a plug/oil change. 105k. I’ve only noticed it once the truck is warm and at idle. Seems to drive fine otherwise.