GEN 2 Engine Issues Common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad to report back that after Ford installed the brand new short block they fired it up to get it tuned and upon doing so they shot a valve through a piston thus putting a hole in the piston and downing a brand new short block (2nd motor to go on this truck in first 35K). I am now in the Buy-Back Claim process which has been approved. I'll know more in the next week but sounds like I may be looking at a brand new 2019 Order as a replacement for my 2017 otherwise they'll give me the cash figure that they'll buy me out at.

I've put a lot of miles on this truck in the short time I've owned it and absolutely love it. I am hoping that I just got really unlucky and got a lemon off the line from the factory at Ford. In my mind that's the only thing that makes sense seen as this truck was ordered and built for me in Dearborn, MI and then freighted here. I am the only one to ever drive it and have babied it maintenance wise. I also haven't seen or heard of any similar engine issues except for this thread, so I will likely take a gamble on the 2019 and hope for the best. Ford has promised to swap any and all aftermarket parts onto my new truck for me as well which is great. Currently just under 2 months without my truck so really hoping they can expedite this order and I won't be stuck in a rental for another few months. I'll update once I find out more information.

Damn. Sorry to hear that man. I'm glad they're figuring it all out for you tho at least. I'm sure your 19 will be problem free and you'll enjoy the shit out of it

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the skill set required to move heads from one engine to another short block is beyond the capability and experience of most service techs at dealerships. Lets face it, if a tech is any good they will own their own shop and make well north of $200k a year with competent help under them. The OEMs no longer have pensions or the benefit of unions so there is little incentive to maintain talent at a dealership level. I am sorry you went through this :(

Sucks, it is what America has become. Labor at the cheapest possible price for the almighty stock incentive plan.

NYSubway18

Reaction score
My check engine light came on at 500 miles. Misfire. Cleared and engine light came back at 750. Misfire. Took to dealer a 2nd time and it had misfired and almost no coolant. They filled it up and sent it back with me telling me to return in a week. Week later, coolant was low again... no leaks, but they said cylinder 1 was down 30% power and coolant was low again. Now they have to tear into the engine to further diagnose, but they can't do it because they are too backed up with other Raptor engine problems, and the 7 dealers I called, nobody could take it sooner than over 2 weeks and some said March due to the number of engine problems they already had on the books. There's a major problem. Just haven't figured out if it's just the EcoBoost engines, all the Raptor engines or all of Ford's engines.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light came on at 500 miles. Misfire. Cleared and engine light came back at 750. Misfire. Took to dealer a 2nd time and it had misfired and almost no coolant. They filled it up and sent it back with me telling me to return in a week. Week later, coolant was low again... no leaks, but they said cylinder 1 was down 30% power and coolant was low again. Now they have to tear into the engine to further diagnose, but they can't do it because they are too backed up with other Raptor engine problems, and the 7 dealers I called, nobody could take it sooner than over 2 weeks and some said March due to the number of engine problems they already had on the books. There's a major problem. Just haven't figured out if it's just the EcoBoost engines, all the Raptor engines or all of Ford's engines.

Wow - from your post and the many others here, it sounds like the 3.5 ecoboost has some design problems. Have you checked into letting the dealer fix and trade in for a non-ecoboost?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
cylinder 1 was down 30% power and coolant was low again
Where I’m from, we call that: A clue.

not sure if you got an extended warranty or not, but I can pretty safely predict based on the time values from the rest of your post that you’ll be butting up against a long running repair and it may be worth either pursuing a buyback from Ford or a lemon lawsuit or both. The former is quicker if Ford is willing to entertain the offer, the latter takes from 3-18 months start to finish. I’d suggest a lawyer.

I wouldn’t normally suggest that route, but Ford’s parts availability is sparse. Any repair calling for a “hard part” takes weeks and is almost always on “national back order”.

Good luck.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Wow - from your post and the many others here, it sounds like the 3.5 ecoboost has some design problems. Have you checked into letting the dealer fix and trade in for a non-ecoboost?

Gargamelispunkedbysmurflslayer.jpg

Your new FRF ban is coming. Sooner than you think

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks, it is what America has become. Labor at the cheapest possible price for the almighty stock incentive plan.
It's not only an american problem, it's everywhere in the world unfortunately, for exemple, give time and money to a chineese guy and he will make great job.
Everything must go too fast in this life...

No news about this topic , I am also wondering if I should buy a gen 1 or 2 ?

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of a friend has been eyeing my Gen1 and offered me pretty good money for the truck. I've been bouncing the idea around to get a Gen2 to replace it. But after reading the threads and discussions on FB, I think I'll stay away.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
A friend of a friend has been eyeing my Gen1 and offered me pretty good money for the truck. I've been bouncing the idea around to get a Gen2 to replace it. But after reading the threads and discussions on FB, I think I'll stay away.
Excellent choice. More for the rest of us!