Engine Breakin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use a very specific break in procedure on our engines. The same can be followed on a new motor

We pull oil filter at 25 min/miles

250 change again

500-750 change again (we use breakin oil up to this point)

1500 change again to conventional race oil.

3500 we recommend you get Oil analysis and based on it we recommend you change to synthetic or one more conventional oil. After this letteeeer rip.

Why so often? This is a pretty standard performance engine breakin procedure, not oem engine breakin procedure. A bit much, yes. But we find wear metals really decline at 3000-3500 miles and rings fully seat. We like getting all the wear metals out as often as possible. Driving locked in gear using engine breaking to naturally slow you down allows the engine to see vacuum which is better for ring seal. Try to stay out of boost, but vary loads, try to not idle often.

Just my $.02

Just curious...who is "We..." ? You a professional engine builder shop? Not being snotty here, more curious to how you developed such a thorough breakin procedure.

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious...who is "We..." ? You a professional engine builder shop? Not being snotty here, more curious to how you developed such a thorough breakin procedure.
Yessir we are. We specialize in a few platforms. Ford, the ford v6 ecoboost being one of them. We have been working on the ecoboost 3.5l specifically in great depths. Including engine dyno and development coming up here in a couple weeks. Setting that all up now.

Last edited:

Snowfly

Reaction score
Would towing a 3000 lb trailer at not more than 55 mph and no steep hills harm the 2019 Raptor? Need to bring my small trailer back from elk camp

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would towing a 3000 lb trailer at not more than 55 mph and no steep hills harm the 2019 Raptor? Need to bring my small trailer back from elk camp

Ford recommends 500 (or 1000-don't recall off the top) miles before towing, how many have you accumulated? Read the 'towing' section in the owners manual.

RMB_Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not how to properly bees an engine in be it oem or built specifically the 3.5l ecoboost

200-500-1000 miles breakin oil
0w40
0w30
10w40
0w40 conventional with two ocis by 3500-3750

After tha tow away and once tuner confirmed you can tune hammer it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk