Engine Bay Cleaning For Pollen / Dust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are folk's favorite methods to clean up the engine bay from a coat of pollen / dust? Living in North Carolina, we have a month of the pine trees puking pollen which leaves a nice yellow on every single thing. Opening the hood today to check oil levels, I noticed the foam cover of my 3.5 and all the tubing intake tubing, battery, etc has a nice yellow pollen coating. Just hose it down when the engine is cold? Clean every tube individually and remove the foam engine cover to clean by hand?

I appreciate any suggestions on this as while I'm not a detail freak, I appreciate keeping things clean when I am able to.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As above, some type of mild cleaner, even a bit of liquid dish soap in a bucket of water and a soft brush to lightly clean the surfaces, I would leave the engine cover on at first then take off and clean underneath, just hose off, not pressure wash. Whatever you do, don't spray any detail cleaner such as a rubber dressing or anything under there as the dust/pollen will collect even worse. I mean it wouldn't bother me as I have always cleaned my engine compartment at least twice a year for the last dozen years and I've never had a problem. I like to dress mine up, but you don't sound like the type that wants to constantly clean an engine, lol. Pictures bro!! Before and after, please!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Does Griot’s have a discount code?

Not that I know of. You can find them on Amazon. I drive down to their headquarters to buy stuff. About an hour away from me. Website shows free shipping on orders over $69.

Adam's Polish is another really good company with quality products. I just choose Griot's over Adam's because they are somewhat local for me.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
APC Is very good for dirt/pollen. For heavy soil/grease - scrubbing bubbles is excellent for engine bays.

Start on the underside of the hood and work your way down. I use low pressure nozzle and cover up the alternator.

As mentioned, leaf blower to dry.

Last edited:

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
After every wash I have to towel dry the truck cause I don't have a $400 water filtration system. So after that process I merely wipe the engine compartment down with my damp towel....EVERY time.... as well as the door jams, tail gate sides etc....pretty easy and quick...no chemicals or spraying under my hood...Had a real problem with an Expedition during that in the past

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After every wash I have to towel dry the truck cause I don't have a $400 water filtration system. So after that process I merely wipe the engine compartment down with my damp towel....EVERY time.... as well as the door jams, tail gate sides etc....pretty easy and quick...no chemicals or spraying under my hood...Had a real problem with an Expedition during that in the past
The water out here is really bad for water-spotting, I have to do the same or take it out quickly and drive at highway speed or higher to blow dry it! Sometimes I will wash it in the rain as the rain water doesn't leave harsh circles.