GEN 2 Engine backfiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKomertz

Reaction score
So I just fueled up, I've been putting in 89 octane. And on my way home maybe less than 3 minutes, I pull up to a stop sign and I heat two POPs, and didn't think anything of it. I come to another stop sign and hear another POP. Is this sound the engine backfiring? Any reason it would do this? Anyone else have or hear about this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be due to the evap system. Does it go away after a few miles? Only happens after you fuel up?

OP
OP
M

MKomertz

Reaction score
Ok' yeah it was only a short period of time. No issues since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AvoidTheBoyd

Reaction score
Happened to me only one time, a couple of pops a few thousand miles ago. I was messing around with baha mode and was running 87 octane. I've been running 89 or higher since and hasn't repeated. I can only assume that was it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tightt

Reaction score
So I just fueled up, I've been putting in 89 octane. And on my way home maybe less than 3 minutes, I pull up to a stop sign and I heat two POPs, and didn't think anything of it. I come to another stop sign and hear another POP. Is this sound the engine backfiring? Any reason it would do this? Anyone else have or hear about this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any other mods on the truck?

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing a few days ago!! 5.5k miles on the truck, and never heard it before. Installed a CORSA Xtreme catback exhaust system recently so when it backfired it was very loud. I was on a road trip so I filled up a few times, and it did the backfire thing every time I filled up.

First time it happened, I thought it was the car behind me. Second time it was super loud, and I stopped immediately to see what fell off my truck :Big Laugh:

psufan

Reaction score
Not sure what's specifically happening on your truck; however, if the pops are occurring when you lift throttle during acceleration (i.e. lifting to coast to a stop), it's probably unburnt fuel burning (exploding) in your hot turbine/exhaust track. This is especially noticeable if you are running an aftermarket exhaust (or are catless). Both my Corvette (stock powertrain) and my Evo X (not stock / catless) do this. Most vehicles do this, but it's often well muffled by the cats and stock exhaust.

Note, I would assume that this might be more prevalent with lower octane gas due to it's lower resistance to ignition. That being said, I haven't driven a vehicle that hasn't required premium in like 15 years... so no first hand experience with that.