GEN 1 Engine and power cutoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Aloha from Hawaii everyone! I am new to this forum and in desperate need of assistance! I bought a used 2012 raptor a year or so ago with 64000 miles (84000 Miles now)and have been getting some terrifying results when it’s hot and humid outside and I go for a long drive, or am stuck in traffic. The power will shutoff all of a sudden with no codes, just a single engine chime sound then power cuts off. If I am lucky it happens after I pull over after a long drive and shut it off it just won’t start for awhile. It will eventually regain power all of a sudden and I can restart it, sometimes it takes longer though (30 minutes)which is pretty embarrassing when it happens in rush hour traffic! The worst part about this issue is that the hazards, windows, door locks, interior lights all will NOT work! If I’m lucky the truck dies when I have a little momentum still to roll to the side of the rode, but the transmission is making ratcheting noises while I’m rolling so as soon as I am able I put it in park but then it will not come out of park again until the power comes back on. I’m sitting there like a dead duck! Dealership changed an O2 sensor which helped nothing. Strange thing is the power seats, horn, mirrors, and minor electrical work still. I’ve googled everything and nothing seems to be similar to my issues! I love this truck but I also don’t want to die driving it on the road for goodness sake, at least let it be on the trail. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated, and if anyone can point me in the right direction I will owe you a Mai tai or ten the next time you are in my neck of the ocean! Mahalo!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you done the fuse 27 relocation yet? If the fuse 27 is still in the fuse box on top of the radiator it hasn’t been done yet. When the truck dies, will it crank over but not start? I would also check the battery connection and check the wiring harness for rodents chewing on it, etc.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you mechanically inclined at all? Just asking, because you should make sure the air filter is clean and the maf sensor is clean. Are there any aftermarket lights, etc on the truck? Are the upfitter switches hooked up to auxiliary aftermarket stuff?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As CoronaRaptor mentioned, sounds like fuse 27 is your issue.

Question, does it crank when it shuts down?
If it doesn't even crank, then it's more than the fuel pump fuse.

What are the battery voltage values when the is off and running?
Anything less then 12.7 volts when engine is off or 13.4 when running is a sure sign the battery is weak.
And/or connections from battery to starter are loose and/or corroded.

And the noise that your hearing is not the tranny but most likely IWE starting to engage because of lack of vacuum.

Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little FYI, there is no fuel filter other than the nylon sock that is around the bottom of the fuel pump pickup inside the tank.
Good to know, i looked for a frame mount but not too hard, one of those "I'll get around to it" things

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for all the questions and replies! I’ll do my best to answer and explain more details. I have not done fuse 27 relocation yet but i did check the fuse and its fine. The vehicle does NOT crank when it dies so not sure if this is the cause of the power shutting off suddenly. previous owner may have screwed up the electrical adding mods:two auxillary lights hooked up(to upfitter switches) full Corsa exhaust, aftermarket HID headlights that are Poorly setup and one is malfunctioning. Lastly, he wired a connection at the battery which looked like a 6 year old did it. I ended up replacing the entire negative battery cable Setup with factory new ones to try to escape the mess of his twisting one wire to another literally connections. My buddy is mechanically inclined (He worked as ford tech for a hot second), and he is trying to help. So far he checked battery and alternator and thinks they are fine, but I’ll do it again using MTF’s voltage numbers above. Today I’ll check the MAF and air filter also just to be sure they are good as well. I feel the way the negative Cable was wired To the battery By PO it might have damaged something as the connection was very poor the first year I owned It until negative cable was replaced so ground connection probably cut in and out?