Emergency Travel Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are planning a number of long trips over the next 3 months.
Does anyone have a good recommendation or suggestions on a as complete as possible emergency travel kit. With Medical if possible or a separate one ?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m all in with the “be prepared” stuff.

However, providing your vehicle is in good repair, and if these are road trips, all you really need is some cash, and a AAA card…the one that allows the long tow, plus trailer tow if you are pulling a trailer.

Make sure that your tires have plenty of tread and along with the battery are less than 5 years old. You really don’t need much else.

If cold country trips, bring a blanket. Maybe something to drink and eat.

If these are off road trips, then the sky is the limit. I had a friend who claimed to have “hundreds of pounds of lightweight backpacking equipment”.

Most of the gear that I bring only gets used when I find someone in need…rarely have I been the one in need :)

Oh…make sure to have fun:)

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score

teamster

Reaction score
A few key things that aren't fully covered in the thread linked above. For any sort of first aid or medical, make sure that you a) know how to use every single thing you pack into the kit, and b) you build the kit yourself. It's fine to buy a kit, but take it apart completely and reassemble it keeping the first point in mind. Make sure you know where everything is in the kit, and you can find it in a stressful moment while adrenaline is pounding. Source: I'm a trained wilderness EMT.

As for other emergency equipment, I bucket it into a few categories: Mechanical, Electrical, Safety, and Comfort.

Mechanical will have the basics you need to get the truck moving again in a minor emergency. Think things like a good socket set, screwdrivers, etc.

Electrical includes a box of spare fuses and a pocket multimeter. Make sure you also have a battery jump pack - battery technology has gotten good enough that jumper cables are pretty unnecessary these days. Just make sure you keep it topped off once a month.

Safety has all the stuff that you need to safely use other parts of your emergency kit. I keep a headlamp, emergency flares, emergency LED beacons, reflective vest, good leather gloves, and several pairs of nitrile gloves.

Comfort is the stuff that will keep you from losing your mind while you wait for AAA or whatever else to come rescue you when you're out of your depth. Wool blanket, instant-hot packets/hand warmers, deck of cards, long-term stable food like protein bars. Boredom can kill just as easily as cold or heat, so make sure there's something to keep you entertained if you get stranded for hours. I also keep a book in my truck, but cards are a safe bet.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Regarding Med kits..... l build all my own custom. The pre-made ones are crap. I can build one with REAL and correct items for less than the garbage they sell you. Who needs 50 band-aids?

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my medic seems to have solid kits but they are expensive.

Not sure if you are just doing long on road travel or plan some offroad excursions, a good recovery kit is necessary.

Pre vehicle check before going out, change fluids etc.

Duct Tape. Sounds stupid but you could actually duct tape the shit out of a broke tie rod and limp off a trail..

I have a list somewhere but it's for more overland, dalton highway type trips basically so it may not be what you need.