ELEMENT Fire Extinguisher or not ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wtf3Rap19

Reaction score
ABC if you want to save people or put out camp fires... but it may **** up your electronics if you were hoping to save the truck. Unless contents have changed, ammonium phosphate can be very corrosive! Especially with how all that powder gets in every kook and cranny, then is activated by water. However, better having one vs not.

Ammonium Phosphate??? Isn’t that fertilizer? It’s monoammonium phospate in an ABC Fire extinguisher and nothing gets activated by water Yes, it would make a mess but better to have a mess then a burned up truck. ABC units are for class A B and C fires which are A common combustibles like wood paper etc. B is flammable liquids and C energized electrical, you have all that on a truck. So yes better to have one then not.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's a choice between a life and the truck, let the truck go. If it's just the truck, you have to decide whether you want to save it or whether you will want to replace it anyway. If you will want to replace it anyway, it might make your life easier if you fail to save it, so you would want to take no extra risk whatsoever trying.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Siri got me on the “mono”ammonium and I missed it... southern draw. Thanks for the correction. The air down here has enough water to etch metal with the compound from an ABC and most wouldnt know better than to just try and wash it off if it were an easy salvage.

wtf3rap19,

Appears you are a “hosedragger” (all in good fun). Most of the vehicle fires you responded to “fully engulfed” or not?

Life ALWAYS comes first... should be a given. Then again, from a racing perspective, if your able and willing to retrieve and use your hand held extinguisher, you’re life is generally out of the woods less you put yourself back in.

One mans opinion...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Clean agents don’t have the same stopping power until you get up to 11lb and above(need that A rating)5lb abc works but is really corrosive to electrical components. PK or BC will cover your needs, plus cheaper on the maintainability.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The nice thing about the Element is that you don't have to do any maintenance. If I had a penny for every fire extinguisher in the world that was out of date, I'd be a very rich man. It's one of those things so easy to forget that you need to be borderline OCD to get it done. Or the victim of a fire who had an extinguisher that didn't work...

poltrup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After long career putting fuel on airplanes and such... Looks like it'll work great on a pan fire on your stove... or maybe that butt you just chucked on the ground and started the grass fire. But I can assure you - you'll be part of the fire trying to use this on fuel/oil in the context of vehicle and collision.

So - considering all the beef and build for "eventuality" that goes into our trucks - you're going to install a tiny little pan fire extinguisher? To each their own... but when I watch someone plow dirt and catch on fire... I'd just as soon not reach for the lifesaver and find floaties...

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trucks insured, $50 deductible, let it burn, they are still building trucks.

Life on the other hand, not so easy to replace, unless your tired of the truck and the wife? Just sayin’........

I was going to mention the element isn’t UL rated, work probably work ok in a enclosed house or garage, not so sure on a car..

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean agents don’t have the same stopping power until you get up to 11lb and above(need that A rating)5lb abc works but is really corrosive to electrical components. PK or BC will cover your needs, plus cheaper on the maintainability.

I carry a BC, but like others have said, if it's bad, that's what insurance is for. If it's something light and doesn't effect my eyebrows, a little BC love.

mobob

Reaction score
I have a Cleanguard extinguisher in my truck. They are expensive but if you want to use something after the fire,it gives you the best chance with little cleanup. FM-36 is what it says on the bottle. I also keep a regular powder extinguisher for grass fire type things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I bought three from Rick at Freedom Motorsports. I highly recommend both Rick and the Element extinguisher.

Regarding your concern about UL certification, it is not UL certified, but it is TUV certified. Having spent quite a bit of time in Germany, i'm happy with the TUV certification. It'll put out the fire.

Regarding the distance from the fire, the posts above are accurate. But I didn't buy them to put out forest fires. My worst fear is an interior fire when I, or a loved one, am trying to get out. They're perfect for that. No mess, long discharge, won't kill you, small and easy to locate. My second desire was for engine fires and small grass fires. I'm also quite happy to use this for either of those. If a fire gets bigger than I can approach in 50 seconds of discharge time, I'm headed the other way anyway.

Having an A,B,C,K extinguisher that discharges for 50 seconds and doesn't leave much of a mess...perfect!