GEN 2 Electric Tailgate Release Failure... Missing Anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put some gas cans in the bed the other day and when I got home the tailgate release wasn't working. First try I heard a motorized sound but it didn't release. Subsequent tries did nothing. Tried the button on the keyfob, locking and unlocking, turning the truck on and off, etc. Nothing.

Ended up having to take apart my tonneau cover from the outside to get the gas cans out. Anyone else have their electric release fail? Annoying that Ford didn't include a mechanical backup. Am I missing something other than asking the dealer to handle it during the next service appointment?

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Specific to Canada and looks like it was an issue with inadvertent releasing. I'm having the opposite issue and the recall doesn't help me because 'Merica.

Ok I wasn't sure what it exactly entails.
Definitely a warranty issue.

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you verify that it’s not getting hung up on the tonneau cover?

Yes. I lifted it up the little bit that it can be so it wasn't contacting the tailgate. It's the Ford OEM cover and you can lift it about an inch against the hold-down springs before it'll stop. You have to open the tailgate to release it fully. I've had the same cover since I bought the truck. It doesn't interface with the tailgate other than a rubber gasket.

When I pressed the button and it made a noise but didn't open I pulled on the tailgate pretty hard. It's definitely not unlatching.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try lubing the latches. i get dirt in mine often and have to lube it to get it back to normal. although im in a gen 1, the latch mechanism is still subject to the same environments

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try lubing the latches. i get dirt in mine often and have to lube it to get it back to normal. although im in a gen 1, the latch mechanism is still subject to the same environments

I'd definitely try that if I could get it open but the problem is there's no way to open it.

The dealer just confirmed there is a recall related to tailgates inadvertently opening but they're not sure if they can get my issue covered by that since I'm having the inverse problem.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely try that if I could get it open but the problem is there's no way to open it.

The dealer just confirmed there is a recall related to tailgates inadvertently opening but they're not sure if they can get my issue covered by that since I'm having the inverse problem.
try pushing the tailgate in while releasing it. if you can relieve the pressure on the latch, it might open