Educate me 500 Mile Range Claims for Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am confused. They are touting a 500 mile range for this new Gen 3 on the press releases. So what? Owners of the Gen 2 are getting 600...

so is the 500 for mixed city/highway? Still kind of like who cares - the Gen 2 is close to that.

Then with compression going to 10:5:1, and providing more HP... Will it require premium 93? Similar to the 4.6 Toyota uses in the Tundra but also found in the Lexus GX. Lexus compression and timing is different, and due to that the Lexus requires premium.

I know higher octane doesn’t equal more MPG’s but if the Gen 3 needs it, who cares that it’s got more power and supposedly better range - premium around here is at least $.60/gal more. Doesn’t make sense.

None of this news makes any sense.

5 pages in, but for what it's worth:

The compression and timing is the same on the 4.6 in both the Tundra and the GX. The "premium" fuel requirement in the Lexus is a marketing decision. The Tundra is actually rated for more power on regular than the GX is on premium.

Same thing on Land Cruiser vs LX. Marketing decision.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5 pages in, but for what it's worth:

The compression and timing is the same on the 4.6 in both the Tundra and the GX. The "premium" fuel requirement in the Lexus is a marketing decision. The Tundra is actually rated for more power on regular than the GX is on premium.

Same thing on Land Cruiser vs LX. Marketing decision.

We know it takes more fuel to make more power in the basic equation of things. Is the new truck heavier? That’s going to bite into MPG’s. Or is there going to be an appreciable power bump? Time will tell.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no harm in running 87. These engines are calibrated to run on Chinese fuel which is extremely high in sulfur and the octane is under 85. If you're concerned about max power then fill up with 93. I've only put one tank of 93 in my truck to see what all the rage is but meh, nothing world changing nor any appreciable gains in fuel economy. With premium being about a $1 more per gallon here it's a good bit more to run on 93 so I just run it on 87 all the time.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting this info from?

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, where are you getting this info from?

I used to be a test and validation engineer for Ford at one of the powertrain dyno labs. I worked a lot with the 3.5L ecoboost. It's a globally used engine so it has to be certified for every country that it's sold in which means it has to be certified with fuel sold in that country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir