Easy connection for upfitter wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhinoman

Reaction score
My truck has the wiring connected for the upfitter switch in a different location. Looks like a super easy connection option. My truck had a previous owner who had a set of lights hooked up to the upfitter switch #1. I am installing more lights. When I went to the upfitter wiring to hook up more switches none of the 8 wires had been used in the previous install. I went and traced the lights power line and instead of going to the upfitter wiring at the passenger side it goes to a small electrical box on the drivers side close to the upper firewall that has what looks like 5 solenoids in it. There are wires coming out of the box that match the 4 colored power wires from the upfitter switches. They have the yellow wire cut and connected to light power to the end of the wire coming from the box. I also checked and the fuse does work on that line as well. I need to check continuity to confirm but these appear to be the wires that come from the switch, to this box, and then back under dash to the spot behind glove box where you attach it to the wiring that then goes thru the firewall.

So it appears you can just splice into the line at the driver side solenoid box and bypass having to kill your hands connecting the fender well wiring.

But I’ve looked and can’t find anyone else who has wired the switches like this.

The pic shows the cut yellow wire and the black power wire for the lights connected to the wire. Added second pic farther back to show engine bay location.
1047AECD-6B56-4214-9A28-FFBF2E4A976E.jpegCE193015-6DF0-4816-8A88-244C6DB974A9.jpeg

SCSVT

Reaction score
My truck has the wiring connected for the upfitter switch in a different location. Looks like a super easy connection option. My truck had a previous owner who had a set of lights hooked up to the upfitter switch #1. I am installing more lights. When I went to the upfitter wiring to hook up more switches none of the 8 wires had been used in the previous install. I went and traced the lights power line and instead of going to the upfitter wiring at the passenger side it goes to a small electrical box on the drivers side close to the upper firewall that has what looks like 5 solenoids in it. There are wires coming out of the box that match the 4 colored power wires from the upfitter switches. They have the yellow wire cut and connected to light power to the end of the wire coming from the box. I also checked and the fuse does work on that line as well. I need to check continuity to confirm but these appear to be the wires that come from the switch, to this box, and then back under dash to the spot behind glove box where you attach it to the wiring that then goes thru the firewall.

So it appears you can just splice into the line at the driver side solenoid box and bypass having to kill your hands connecting the fender well wiring.

But I’ve looked and can’t find anyone else who has wired the switches like this.

The pic shows the cut yellow wire and the black power wire for the lights connected to the wire. Added second pic farther back to show engine bay location.
View attachment 397058View attachment 397059
Honestly just wiring it the normal way wasn't that hard. I wish they'd made the wire leads longer so it wasn't so tight to get at them but...

OP
OP
R

Rhinoman

Reaction score
I went and checked continuity of the wires and this is just the other end where it goes back thru to behind the glove box. I just installed a few more sets of Baja designs ambassador pros. Since their wiring kit uses crimp on wire connectors, I just clipped onto the wires from the solenoid and the install only took me minutes and works flawlessly.