Early bronco 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One overpriced vendor does not a race engine make. I just can't see putting the effort required into what its going to make a 6.2l work under those conditions, you will need custom parts, time spent measuring, designing and sourcing. There are several other modern engine platforms that are so well supported you can shelf shop for everything. Even a well built 351w is going to be cheaper and easier than the 6.2l, which already bolts into the truck. The windsor gets even better when you get into the strokers, its a great engine for the application.

With the LS 6.2l and 6.0, hellcat, the Coyote, Predator, and soon the Godzilla being a reality; trying to make 1000hp with a Boss just seems silly. Sure it can be done, but the economics aren't good, and I am not talking about straight money here as no race engine is cheap. There is going to be a lot of time in all the custom parts, tuning, and getting gremlins out... When something brakes you either have a spare or your waiting for another custom component to be crafted. You also have to learn from your own failures when you start doing something on an obscure engine. Learn from someone else's failure = save heartache.

I love my 6.2l, it has a ton of character, sounds great and maintenance is minimal. Would I ever build it or try to make 1000hp out of it? Nope... turbocharge it to 9-10psi? Absolutely.

Last edited:

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the engine OP wants to use, I get it. To me, projects like that are fun.

Also, we know where Livernois gets their cams, so calling up that vendor is easy. Manley makes shelf rods and piston. Custom pistons are easy, and really, so are custom rods. So you could ask Livernois for just a crank, I have a feeling its just a welded and offset ground stock crank. Given the price of the rotating assmebly at $4500, theres no way its a custom forging or billet. The heads aren't rocket science- once you have cams they can go to a reputable head shop like HeadGames for some magic.

I'm starting to go through things to build the 2zz in a clients lotus 211 for a turbocharger and 400-500whp. Not many parts available, and all the cams are for NA apps so I need to come up with cams. Luckily ferrea makes a rocker arm that deletes the "vtec". Its going to be a fun build for me.

Some people enjoy building things as opposed to ordering up shelf parts and tossing it together :)