Early bronco 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Saylors

Reaction score
Anyone know who could make my 6.2 oem harness a standalone I dont have a raptor (someday) but I do have a race early bronco that I have been running a 434 Windsor based engine. I bought a 6.2 out of f250 with harness ECU. Fuel Tech is only aftermarket that say ther ft550 setup will run the 6.2 standalone.i will be running twin turbos with a th400 trans.FB_IMG_1598113426083.jpg FB_IMG_1574266620276.jpg

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holley HP efi with stock harness, or stock harness and ECM with hptuners.

Your giving up a ton going from the Windsor to the Boss, Boss has almost no aftermarket support, Windsor has all the options. Why the Boss?

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can send the OEM harness off to Rywire or similar, and they can replicate it, add length where you want it, and then use the correct plug for your ECU.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Tom Saylors

To be honest, I don't see this working at all with a three speed GM tranny.
The 6.2L is all fly by wire, you're going to need the gas pedal too.
The PCM needs input from the tranny to adjust the engine.
Throttle response, AFR, spark advance is all torque base info the PCM gets from the tranny.
I know there were some guys trying to run the 6.2L and PCM with a manual tranny and they never quite got it to work.
But that was quite a few years ago, maybe they figured it out, who knows.

Plus I agree, why go down from a 434 ci. to a 379 ci.
You're giving up hundreds of HP.
And if you build and Whipple the 6.2L at a great deal of cost,
a built 434 can do it naturally aspirated for far less cost.

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know this is blasphemy on a Ford Forum... but Holley EFI - LS3 and TH400... Way easier, more support from aftermarket etc etc...

I love my 6.2 but when you want to make power, its a pain in the ass. Getting a competent tune into that with twin turbos and a non electronically controlled trans is going to be a feat in itself. If you are dead set on staying Ford, I would run the 434.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The electronic throttle isn't a big deal to switch to manual, the logic is already in the ford PCMetc.jpg

Its easy to get rid of in Holley HP as well, and in the grand scheme of this project converting the engine to a manual TB is not a big deal.

Same deal with the auto, the logic to change it to manual is in the PCM, manual setup will allow it to work with the GM transmission. These PCM strategies are nearly identical to the mustangs of the same era, almost anything you can set up in those you can set up in these.

Its just a really weird choice, LS makes sense, the Windsor makes sense, Coyote would be great: light, high power ceiling, incredibly well supported... 6.2l is heavy, unsupported, and relatively unknown.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The electronic throttle isn't a big deal to switch to manual, the logic is already in the ford PCMView attachment 153336

Its easy to get rid of in Holley HP as well, and in the grand scheme of this project converting the engine to a manual TB is not a big deal.

Same deal with the auto, the logic to change it to manual is in the PCM, manual setup will allow it to work with the GM transmission. These PCM strategies are nearly identical to the mustangs of the same era, almost anything you can set up in those you can set up in these.

Its just a really weird choice, LS makes sense, the Windsor makes sense, Coyote would be great: light, high power ceiling, incredibly well supported... 6.2l is heavy, unsupported, and relatively unknown.

While you can turn modules off, the problem is the strategy algorism in the 6.2L PCM requires info to preform it's function.
Like I said in my earlier post there are some that tried this but never got it to work 100%

One of the issues were, I believe they had to leave the OEM shifter wires hooked up to the PCM and/or BCM (I have forgotten exactly what was discussed years ago) and hot wire it to tell the PCM the shifter is in neutral or something to that effect.

You also have to consider the PCM is going to look for the BCM info,
I don't know what error messages would come up without having a BCM or if the PCM would even function without one.

I would suggest getting a PCM from a GT500 5.8L with the manual tranny and work with that in HP Tuners.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gt500 strategy is an interesting choice since its a 4 cam engine with very little in common with the 6.2l, and is a servo actuated TB. At that point I would think a 5.0 coyote control pack PCM would be ticket since it is already non BCM dependent, essentially RTR if you could fix the cam problems. You would be locking the 6.2l cam, and now the ECM is doing very little other than firing injectors and metering air/fuel, so you have an OHC cam engine with electronic fuel management and very little aftermarket and essentially no cam options to take advantage of the lockout.

Deleting the DBW isn't all voodoo, as long as you can give the PCM the signals it needs the computer doesn't care. It gets easier if you get away from the ford PCM. If you are using accel, fast, BS3, MS or holley HP they require a manual TB. You could probably use the DBW and modify the throttle body to have an output for the transmission, then this is all academic and its just a matter of tuning through the transmission swap and getting the correct VSS signal. This is the better option, DBW vehicles have great drivability and power management. You would still have to figure out what is necessary from the BCM.

Or just forget the transmission output and go full manual valve body, it is a race truck after all. Import the settings from a mustang manual to the stock ecm tune, set the gear ratios and your golden on the trans side.

I also think I would prefer the 6r80 to the gm 3 speed, the 6r80 can be built very robustly and you have the the trans controls built in to the PCM. The OP didn't specify what type of racing, so maybe that has something to do with it.

When thepartsfarm.com does a raptor 6.2l they just include the entire BCM harness, PCM harness, both modules, fuel system, engine, trans and you drop it in to a vehicle. They remove PATS from the PCM logic and provide wiring instructions. At that point you have what boils down to a raptor under whatever you want. If you can get a rolled raptor cheap this could be a good way to go.

OP call Holley directly and see what they can offer you for engine management.

Last edited:

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can send the OEM harness off to Rywire or similar, and they can replicate it, add length where you want it, and then use the correct plug for your ECU.

Between all the ranting of why you shouldn't run what setup, there's still this. A lot of engine management supports the ford crank trigger system (36-1 crank, with cam triggers), so it would be easy to setup by any competent tuner on the ECU you're using- haltech, motec, Emtron, even AEM Inifinity IIRC, etc. The 6.2 may have 16 plugs, but it has 8 coils, so the ignition isnt really tricky. All three ECU's mentioned also support DBW or cable throttle, so that is easy as well.

Retaining an OEM ECU in a race only vehicle is simply silly. The computing power/speed, tuning features, safety features, and datalogging capabilities of a good stand alone leave any factory ECU looking like a mid 90's cell phone.

There may be minimal support, but there is enough. Heads/cams and the 6.6 rotating assembly from livernois + twin turbos would absolutely rip.

There is not such thing as the cheap route when build a TT v8 if you want it to truly live under stress. Especially since I'm guessing you want to make over 1000hp. Anything at that level basically require the same parts/level of build up.