"E" rated KO2s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who have owned Gen 1s. Have you run KO2s in E rated? How do they ride in comparison to the "C" rated tires on a Raptor, or for that matter on an F150?

I put KO2 E rated on my F250, however my old tires were E rated also. In this case the KO2s were a bit softer and a bit more compliant. And for the first 100 miles or so they felt like I was driving on jello.

Thanks.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who have owned Gen 1s. Have you run KO2s in E rated? How do they ride in comparison to the "C" rated tires on a Raptor, or for that matter on an F150?

I put KO2 E rated on my F250, however my old tires were E rated also. In this case the KO2s were a bit softer and a bit more compliant. And for the first 100 miles or so they felt like I was driving on jello.

Thanks.

E rated are going to ride rougher than the C rated. The sidewall will be less compliant.

OP
OP
W

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Mr. Crash...however I did already know that :)

What I'm hoping is that someone who has experience with the "E" rated KO2s on a Raptor or on a 1/2 ton will pipe in.

FYI. The "Es" have one additional polyester ply in the sidewalls. I live offgrid/off pavement in West TX with lots of sharp rocks sticking up out of the primitive local unpaved roads. Many opportunities for flat tires in this country. Sidewalls get slashed and rocks also poke through the tread when the tires get worn.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Interested too. I got a quote from a tire shop today and then asked the rating, I was quoted automatically E. I asked for C and it was a little less but said the nationwide stock of that load C is a LOT less.

So instead of running at 44psi, run at 40psi when using E rated? Think the extra ply's would be helpful for off-roading.

NWFreerider

Reaction score
My current truck is a '14 F150 SCREW ecoboost. For the first 2+ years of owning it I ran the KOs in 315/70-17, same as the first gen Raptor. They were D load rated. I put on KO2s in December and they ride the same from a firmness standpoint. I run my tires at 40 psi. The KO2s are a lot smoother at freeway speed and took a less weight to balance. The tread design is also a lot better in rain and snow. I live in the NW and drive in both frequently in the winter. BFG doen't make a tire to fit the Raptor in a C load rating, nor would you want to put one on if you could find one. Typically C load rated tires would be used with a 15" wheel on a smaller vehicle like an older Jeep Wrangler. When my 17 Raptor is delivered I will keep the stock tires and swap out to some different wheels since I think the KO2s are a pretty decent tire, especially for where I live. My $.02

D

Deleted member 12951

My current truck is a '14 F150 SCREW ecoboost. For the first 2+ years of owning it I ran the KOs in 315/70-17, same as the first gen Raptor. They were D load rated. I put on KO2s in December and they ride the same from a firmness standpoint. I run my tires at 40 psi. The KO2s are a lot smoother at freeway speed and took a less weight to balance. The tread design is also a lot better in rain and snow. I live in the NW and drive in both frequently in the winter. BFG doen't make a tire to fit the Raptor in a C load rating, nor would you want to put one on if you could find one. Typically C load rated tires would be used with a 15" wheel on a smaller vehicle like an older Jeep Wrangler. When my 17 Raptor is delivered I will keep the stock tires and swap out to some different wheels since I think the KO2s are a pretty decent tire, especially for where I live. My $.02

So are you saying you would go with KO2's with E rating?

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got quoted for the E's also. I assume all the Raptors come with C (I know the one on the lot here had Cs).

Just went out to check my spare and it is a E rated KO2 (bought that a few months back as I was planning to go KO2s this spring).

So what are you guys thinking? Heavier, stiffer tire (E) but better for desert running (less rock punctures) or the stock C's which come on the new Raptor?
I've got 2 flats with the original KO2s and others I've ridden with have gotten them too. Sharp rocks do a number on the original KOs tires (I know the stock KO2s are
an improvement already). Thoughts for those of us that actually use are trucks?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From TireRack...The stock "C" rated and the "E" rated KO2's have the same number of plies in the tread. The "E" adds one poly belt in the sideswalls.

Puncture through the tread should be the same. The extra poly layer on the sidewalls should give a little more side protection.

Driving on bad back roads is tough on tires. I had a longitudinal 2" long rip in a Yokohama Geolander last spring. They have similar plies to the KO2's. The KO2's have beefier lugs than the Yokos.

WYO...I spent some time in the Bighorns last summer. Little Goose Creek campground. Rugged drive in. Went exploring after setting up camp. Nearly got the F250 stuck between trees out on one of the fire roads a few miles after the creek crossing. The fire road turned into a very narrow atv track. Lots of fun backing out of that one. Shoulda brought the chainsaw.

Mink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found out they come from factory with load range C tires. BF offers load range C and E in this tire size. I was hoping for E's

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

I got quoted for the E's also. I assume all the Raptors come with C (I know the one on the lot here had Cs).

Just went out to check my spare and it is a E rated KO2 (bought that a few months back as I was planning to go KO2s this spring).

So what are you guys thinking? Heavier, stiffer tire (E) but better for desert running (less rock punctures) or the stock C's which come on the new Raptor?
I've got 2 flats with the original KO2s and others I've ridden with have gotten them too. Sharp rocks do a number on the original KOs tires (I know the stock KO2s are
an improvement already). Thoughts for those of us that actually use are trucks?

I think I will give them a try this season. I spend a lot of time in the desert country in Eastern Oregon lots of sharp rock and rock roads and I live on a gravel road 1 mile of rock every time I leave. They won't hold up real well because they are siped from the factory and siping and rock don't go together, just hoping for no flats.

NWFreerider

Reaction score
I just looked at BFGs specs on these tires and they now list the 315/70-17 in C load rating specifically for Ford. Personally I would prefer E for towing stability. I run C load rated 35x12.50 KO2s on my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited and they feel like balloons compared to the E rated 315/70-17s.