E, D, or C rated tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevesolinko

Reaction score
What tire rating is recommended to run on a Gen 1?

I know factory installed a E rated tire for the Gen 1 and a C rated for Gen 2. Given the weight of the Gen 1, C tires would be within their limits. I think for these trucks E rated tires are too much.

How would the truck handle with C tires? Would it push in the corners and dart around?

The BFGs are only C and E rated. Looking at Goodyear Duratracs for a D rated tire.

D

Deleted member 12951

Actually factory OEM is D rated. I would not run C rated. I am currently running KO2 E-rated and notice absolutely no difference on the street from the stock KO D rating. They are better off-road but do not feel its the rating but being KO2’s and the better thread design and sidewalls.

You will be fine running D or E on any brand tire

ddf795d2a6b33cbe00ad1e69956eff38.jpg

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually factory OEM is D rated. I would not run C rated. I am currently running KO2 E-rated and notice absolutely no difference on the street from the stock KO D rating. They are better off-road but do not feel its the rating but being KO2’s and the better thread design and sidewalls.

You will be fine running D or E on any brand tire

ddf795d2a6b33cbe00ad1e69956eff38.jpg

GEN 1 the OEM BFGs were D rated...the GEN 2 come with C rated tires. I had the C rated tires on my GEN1 for one day, because they came with the wheels I bought. They drove like mush for me. I went right back to E rated KO2's...35x12.5r17.

Reaction score
I have “c” rated gen2 take offs on my gen1. Handling is good, they do just fine all around. Mine have a load index rating of 113 which translates to 2500lbs a tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

GEN 1 the OEM BFGs were D rated...the GEN 2 come with C rated tires. I had the C rated tires on my GEN1 for one day, because they came with the wheels I bought. They drove like mush for me. I went right back to E rated KO2's...35x12.5r17.

That is what I said. The OP said he “knows” that the factory installed with E rated and its obvious that he does NOT “know”. I would not run Load C on a GEN1, just like you observed. The 37 KO2’s seem to only come in Load D which I purchased recently and just waiting for them to show up.

OP
OP
S

stevesolinko

Reaction score
Well maybe I am wrong about the E rating on the Gen one. That is what my truck has on it, and I thought that is what the door tag said it came with.

Thanks for the input!

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i recently got some gen2 takeoffs, if i remember right they are E rated.

ive not noticed anything different other than its a softer compound feel.
they are wearing quicker than my last set of D rated tires.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I said. The OP said he “knows” that the factory installed with E rated and its obvious that he does NOT “know”. I would not run Load C on a GEN1, just like you observed. The 37 KO2’s seem to only come in Load D which I purchased recently and just waiting for them to show up.

I quoted the wrong post. Easy guy.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tires have changed a little over the years. The original KO was offered in a 35" D rating, the KO2's are either C or E rated. The E rated tire has a three ply sidewall, the C rated tired has a 2 ply sidewall. BFG claims they are tougher than KO's regardless. My Gen1 SCAB is on E rated KO2's inflated to 42 psi cold. Rides and handles great, tires now have almost 25k miles on them and look pretty good still. When we hit the local jeep roads I drop them to 25 psi and it makes a huge difference in ride comfort.

All that said, there is no reason to pass on a good deal for either the C or the E tires, either will work just fine. Even the C rated tire is well above the needs of the truck, unless you are going to tow/haul something near or over the trucks rated capacity. Inflated to the same pressure I don't think anybody could tell the difference, though some pro jocks claim they can. There is actually very little difference between the two versions.