Dyno comparison results for my 2017 stock tune vs MPT PR-X 93 tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice man, I have a 2018 and Just ordered the MPT tuner (SCT BDX) and plan on going with Tow 87 and PRX 93. I do like those numbers, seems to be in line and even maybe a tiny bit more than what MPT claims.

QtrGen2

Reaction score
damn pretty good results, makes me wounder how much I'll be making with downpipes, intercooler, intake and boost tubes

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn pretty good results, makes me wounder how much I'll be making with downpipes, intercooler, intake and boost tubes
I just installed the CV Titan2 and pipe kit yesterday. I may take it back to the dyno and see what that does for it. It should probably help with the loss due to heat soak, especially in the heat of TX summer.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just installed the CV Titan2 and pipe kit yesterday. I may take it back to the dyno and see what that does for it. It should probably help with the loss due to heat soak, especially in the heat of TX summer.
Nice ! Post it up when you do. Im probably going with the Wagner unit.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice ! Post it up when you do. Im probably going with the Wagner unit.
I wouldn't. It's a tube/fin construction which is not preferred IMO. Bar/plate is the way to go in air to air intercoolers. Personally I'd go with a Garrett IC if you are doing stock location.

*edit - adding context here instead of just why I prefer one over the other. Tube/fin designs can work well, but they are not as robust (strong) as bar and plate. They can't handle as much boost either. IMO durability is priority one, and bar/plate wins that hands down. With that said, tube/fin are much lighter, but in the raptor the weight difference is meaningless, especially with a small stock location IC. Wagner does make excellent intercoolers, they make them for many other models of vehicles and they are highly regarded. You will see race cars using tube/fin simply to keep weight down. Anyway, you really can't go wrong with the Wagner but for me, I'd always opt for bar/plate due to better durability and IMO, Garrett makes the best bar/plate cores in the world.

Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't. It's a tube/fin construction which is not preferred IMO. Bar/plate is the way to go in air to air intercoolers. Personally I'd go with a Garrett IC if you are doing stock location.

*edit - adding context here instead of just why I prefer one over the other. Tube/fin designs can work well, but they are not as robust (strong) as bar and plate. They can't handle as much boost either. IMO durability is priority one, and bar/plate wins that hands down. With that said, tube/fin are much lighter, but in the raptor the weight difference is meaningless, especially with a small stock location IC. Wagner does make excellent intercoolers, they make them for many other models of vehicles and they are highly regarded. You will see race cars using tube/fin simply to keep weight down. Anyway, you really can't go wrong with the Wagner but for me, I'd always opt for bar/plate due to better durability and IMO, Garrett makes the best bar/plate cores in the world.
Thats not actually true. Bar and plate have so much material and are so heavy , once they are hot they take forever to cool off and recover. They also have more flow restriction which is why the garret is so big and also titan v2 is so oversized. This is because the bar and plate creates more back pressure and restriction and they have to increase the size volumetrically to account for that. Thats why bar and plate are more useful in drag racing. Couple hits and your done. Tube fin recover a lot quicker and can shake off heat soak in a more efficient way. That coupled with the fact that its the largest intercooler for stock location that keeps shutters and fans. AND its the only intercooler with actual flow and temp graphs posted. Tube and fin are lighter and thinner, are they more delicate yea a little but its completely shrouded by the grill and skid plate . So its a non issue. AND its made in Germany not china. If I dont go front mount im def going Wagner. They flow the best and cool better than any stock mount.

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Btw i still cant get over the drivetrain loss vs rated crank hp on these trucks.
I was astonished @ the misconceptions regarding this when it comes to parasitic loss on this forum, there aren’t too many vehicles I could imagine w/ a worse setup for loss: heavy ass 35-37” tires, heavy duty axles, 4.10s, an automatic trans w/ TC, long driveshaft, 4x4 w/ a t-case….I mean…what you expect lol!!

My C5 vette is the opposite- manual trans, transaxle in rear right near the diff, light weight wheels, etc- manual vettes typically like 13-16% loss, 4x4 off-road pickups w/ an auto? Yeah- 22-26% seems right.

What’s way more impressive to me is how much power they pickup w/ just a 93 octane tune. You jumped 100hp @ the crank essentially. 450hp factory rated @ 335 wheel = 25-26% loss, do the math backwards @ 411whp assuming parasitic loss remains constant that equates to 550ish crank Hp! Also impressive? That your 62k mile 5-6 year old truck turned those #s out immediately no sweat lol

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was astonished @ the misconceptions regarding this when it comes to parasitic loss on this forum, there aren’t too many vehicles I could imagine w/ a worse setup for loss: heavy ass 35-37” tires, heavy duty axles, 4.10s, an automatic trans w/ TC, long driveshaft, 4x4 w/ a t-case….I mean…what you expect lol!!

My C5 vette is the opposite- manual trans, transaxle in rear right near the diff, light weight wheels, etc- manual vettes typically like 13-16% loss, 4x4 off-road pickups w/ an auto? Yeah- 22-26% seems right.

What’s way more impressive to me is how much power they pickup w/ just a 93 octane tune. You jumped 100hp @ the crank essentially. 450hp factory rated @ 335 wheel = 25-26% loss, do the math backwards @ 411whp assuming parasitic loss remains constant that equates to 550ish crank Hp! Also impressive? That your 62k mile 5-6 year old truck turned those #s out immediately no sweat lol
If I tune I want to get 450 at the wheels… anyone getting that here?