Duramax owner with questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desoto

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve researched and tried to hunt down old threads but wanted to get some opinions from Gen 2 owners. I currently have a 2014 Silverado 2500 LTZ. Leveling kit. Aftermarket wheels. DEF delete. I’ve been debating a new truck but I keep hesitating. The Raptor rides significantly better and has much more creature comforts than my 14 Silverado. I don’t tow a lot of things. The most I ever tow is my car or a friends car to a half mile or Arkansas mile event. I’m not worried about the Raptor being capable of towing; however, I’m just unsure. I keep waivering and I just want some opinions from current Raptor owners. Maybe even if you owned a diesel and went back to a gas powered vehicle.

The money factor isn’t bad. For my 25,000 mile truck they are giving me 45k and 2k off sticker. Financing around 22k before taxes. Any advice to seal the deal would be great

OP
OP
D

Desoto

Reaction score
Lol.

I think I’m just having an emotional attachment issue. I’ve owned the truck for 4 years and it’s paid off. I guess I’m afraid of swapping and not liking the truck as much as my current truck. A few more things. Wife loves the way the raptor rides. Hates riding in my Silverado. The amount of leg room in the backseat in the raptor is much more than my truck.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Lol.

I think I’m just having an emotional attachment issue. I’ve owned the truck for 4 years and it’s paid off. I guess I’m afraid of swapping and not liking the truck as much as my current truck. A few more things. Wife loves the way the raptor rides. Hates riding in my Silverado. The amount of leg room in the backseat in the raptor is much more than my truck.

Do it, you will never look back!

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Desoto,
What he^ said!
I came back to Ford after a dozen years of Dodge Cummins diesels. I had a goose neck hitch in both, and pulled a 9 ton tri axle tilt flat bed with my 55 PowerWagon on board. (20 mpg!) I sold my PowerWagon, and the trailer, and eventually the Cummins too.
The Raptor has more than enough power to pull 8,000#. As your wife notes the Raptor has an infinitely superior ride on road; and off road your DMax will be blown away.
From what you describe you'll be towing, don't worry...The Raptor will handle it easily!

Eddie

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Desoto, I've owned 4 F-150 Screw 4x4's and they are nice. My 2018 Raptor is arriving at my dealership in a few days and I'm very excited to finally get it. Seriously consider getting the tailgate step as other brand truck owners tend to dismiss it but it REALLY comes in handy! I too was skeptical when I first had one on a 2009 Platinum and well worth the $$.

Good luck in your decision, but Ford does make a nice (and technology leading 1/2 ton truck)!

PS My brother in law is a die hard Chevrolet fan and has had a 2500 4 door 4x4 Chevy truck for the past 5 years. He drove my 2016 King Ranch and was blown away at the power/torque of the EB engine, comfort, refinement, technology and ride...not apples to apples, but he will be shopping Ford as well as Chevy for his next truck (and that's saying something)!!

Last edited:

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor tows a racecar just fine on a flat trailer. If he has a 35 foot enclosed triple axle, or you were towing a mud truck then I'd say you need the Dmax.

I sold my 2010 gas 2500hd quad cab and tow a 2400 pound racecar regularly with my raptor. It's sensitive to tongue weight but a racecar is no problem and you can move them around on the trailer to adjust.

When I say sensitive I mean if you screw it up it sways. Just like any truck but the raptor being so soft is doesn't let you get away with it like a quad cab long bed HD chevy does. The engine and trans pull just fine.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You've made your decision. You just need a little encouragement. Given what you've outlined above, towing will be no problem. You won't regret the Raptor at all. You'll love it.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had all of the diesel trucks. My boss runs a 2018 Cummins and frankly, for a driver, I will keep my gasser any day. Once I didn't need to tow heavy I bought my first 1/2 truck ever this first gen Raptor. I am hooked now, love the thing, looking to upgrade to a 13-14 soon.

I think the EB V6 will please a dmax guy. You get a little lag, big whoosh, plenty of power and the flexibility of a turbo motor. I would think ii tis a good match for you.

I think the diesel rage is dying finally with some decent gas motors out there. Get out while they will still give you good money for it. I am firmly in the do it and don't look back camp. The new Raptor is unlikely to disappoint.

BudTX

Reaction score
I went from a built 12 second LLY Duramax Crew Cab to a 2018 Raptor SCREW a few months ago.

The Raptor is not quite as fast as the built DMax, but I am very pleased with my choice. It is far more comfortable, and certainly exponentially more capable offroad.

Get the Raptor.