Dsp input /output voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should I set my dsp output voltage , to match the input voltage comming from the zen nav tv , with I believe is 2.1 volts rms and 6 volts max . Or do I set my dsp based on the head units output voltage, then adjust amp gains accordingly? I measure the bit one at volume 28 , 0db , bit one set to zero and it was 10 volts .

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should I set my dsp output voltage , to match the input voltage comming from the zen nav tv , with I believe is 2.1 volts rms and 6 volts max . Or do I set my dsp based on the head units output voltage, then adjust amp gains accordingly? I measure the bit one at volume 28 , 0db , bit one set to zero and it was 10 volts .
set your head unit to 70% volume first. then adjust processor and amp gains. the settings vary depending on vehicles so it will be different. you want to keep the gains as low as possible to lower the noise floor, meaning dont turn up the processor gain all the way, and only have a little amp gain. try to level them out to reduce noise. i think my processor is at 40% and my amps are about 70% (door woofer. tweeter are probably 40%. you will hear distortion. once you get to distortion, back off the gains slightly. due to time alignment adjustments and where the speakers are located, the gains are seperately adjusted within the processor so nothing is the same . even though the gains are set on the amp

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
set your head unit to 70% volume first. then adjust processor and amp gains. the settings vary depending on vehicles so it will be different. you want to keep the gains as low as possible to lower the noise floor, meaning dont turn up the processor gain all the way, and only have a little amp gain. try to level them out to reduce noise. i think my processor is at 40% and my amps are about 70% (door woofer. tweeter are probably 40%. you will hear distortion. once you get to distortion, back off the gains slightly. due to time alignment adjustments and where the speakers are located, the gains are seperately adjusted within the processor so nothing is the same . even though the gains are set on the amp
I assume the 70 percent is for low recorded music ,aka headroom. im pretty happy where it is -10db as of now I've set and reset them again , at about 4v out of bit one my noise floor is gone which is about -10db on the dsp levels ,when I complained about noise floor before ,u were correct the gain on the amps tweeter channel was 2 high .the audison amp goes from 0-5 on the gains ,im 2.8 tweeter channel , 3.5 mids ,3.5 bass set that at -5 db noise I set all those with my scope ,I think it was 17.5 volts tweeters , 23.5 mids ,55 for subs ,I time aligned the speakers ,use the mic for db output ,adjusted the channel outputs relative to the drivers seat ,had to tone down the driver side speaker s.I installed the drc .I played around on the software ,looks like u can hook up a mic to the computer ,open up the bit one software ,it has a built in rta ,and it can self calibrate all the channels eq, may play with that soon . I switched between the tuned front active ,to not tuned ,not time aligned ,its night and day ,best thing I ever did was go active and add dsp. it went from what I through was a good system ,to a great sounding system ,with only 4 speakers and 2 subs

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume the 70 percent is for low recorded music ,aka headroom. im pretty happy where it is -10db as of now I've set and reset them again , at about 4v out of bit one my noise floor is gone which is about -10db on the dsp levels ,when I complained about noise floor before ,u were correct the gain on the amps tweeter channel was 2 high .the audison amp goes from 0-5 on the gains ,im 2.8 tweeter channel , 3.5 mids ,3.5 bass set that at -5 db noise I set all those with my scope ,I think it was 17.5 volts tweeters , 23.5 mids ,55 for subs ,I time aligned the speakers ,use the mic for db output ,adjusted the channel outputs relative to the drivers seat ,had to tone down the driver side speaker s.I installed the drc .I played around on the software ,looks like u can hook up a mic to the computer ,open up the bit one software ,it has a built in rta ,and it can self calibrate all the channels eq, may play with that soon . I switched between the tuned front active ,to not tuned ,not time aligned ,its night and day ,best thing I ever did was go active and add dsp. it went from what I through was a good system ,to a great sounding system ,with only 4 speakers and 2 subs
the 70% is usually where you get max output with minimal distortion. it varies depending on the source. can be anywhere from 65% on the gen 1 to 70-75% on aftermarket systems. also the gen 2-3 trucks are about 70% once you get more than 10% s/n it becomes very audilbe. try to keep it below. i usually find that 10% s/n and back off a bit. but you need to make adjustments to get the right volume with both components