Dropping my truck off in the morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
To the dealership. I'm having this recurring issue of the truck hesitating, revving a bit and then BOOM slamming in to gear while downshifting- ONLY when the truck is cold. Once it warms up it's fine. I would say it's normal but it doesn't feel good for the truck and it just started doing it pretty recently.
19,800 miles
I'll keep ya posted.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torque convertor fo sho.... may need a fluid change or just low, with all the electronics its hard to say.

Or, could be the "won't move forward until the Ford Lawyers have signed off on it" sensor, or some shit like that...

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Almost sounds to me like a sticking mechatronix assembly or EPC, the 6R80 trans is a transmission that was designed to be non servicable and fluid is filled for life. I do think they post fluid change interval at 120k. To check the fluid level the dipstick is on the plug you start the vehicle let it warm up and on the passenger side front by the RH catalyst is a plug you unscrew trying not to burn yourself and there is a little dipstick right on the end of the plug. 6.2 with 6R80 has trans issue under investigation for harsh shifting in cold climates.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
torque convertor fo sho.... may need a fluid change or just low, with all the electronics its hard to say.

Or, could be the "won't move forward until the Ford Lawyers have signed off on it" sensor, or some shit like that...
And here I am thinking that they already signed off on the Beast... I guess I should have read the fine print. :jester:

Megatronix assembly or epc? How do you know this shit? Sounds like something crazy like a fluxcapasitor or something lol
That's what I was thinking... Google is a wonderful thing.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To the dealership. I'm having this recurring issue of the truck hesitating, revving a bit and then BOOM slamming in to gear while downshifting- ONLY when the truck is cold. Once it warms up it's fine. I would say it's normal but it doesn't feel good for the truck and it just started doing it pretty recently.
19,800 miles
I'll keep ya posted.

5.4 or 6.2?

jdowens1

Reaction score
and you need 1.31 Jigawatts of power. Your mechatronix assembly is another name for newer valve bodies. they went the new assembly as newer transmissions have become completely electronic. Your EPC Solenoid is a pulse width modulated solenoid that will vary the main line pressure to your auto trans based off of what the pcm commands. If your EPC is sticking you could have excessivly high pressure which would cause harsh shifting and harsh engagements. If you have low line pressure would cause delayed engagement as well as sometimes harsh engagement. Just some things you need to know to work on auto trans

jdowens1

Reaction score
This sounds really stupid but it could be as simple as programmig issue the 6R80 is tender unit when it comes to programming.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had mine in 4 times for the same thing... 1 reflash, 2 can you fix it and last time megatronicts changed... the meg change made it horrible in the cold... There is no fix... When you get tired of it you can start the buy back procedure... I just learn to live with it until an aftermarket company comes out with a better setup... when they do I will change it... Ford has never had a good transmission in any of their vehicles... I have had transmission trouble with every vehicle I have had.. I just learn to live with it... Wait, I need to say this... My 2011 fusion has been great so far...11k miles and no transmission trouble yet...