Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Dropping Fords new 7.3L in a Gen 1

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by coachhomer, Nov 17, 2020.

GotExhaust
  1. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

The gen 2/3 is going to be a different challenge. With the more sophisticated traction control, electronic suspension, EPAS, and digital controls you almost don't have a choice but to integrate the (a?) BCM somehow. It may also have more stringent emissions requirements (need to verify) which could complicate things with the DMV.

The SVT is more straight forward, as long as the gauges can be made to read the rest of the truck is independent enough to be worked through without becoming a straight up gutted race car. The BCM only needs a hand full of signals to keep the gauge cluster, lighting, ABS and traction control functioning.

With the gen 2/3 I think it would be more straight forward to dump raptor suspension on a 5.0 truck and supercharge that. No worries about ABS, TCS, emissions, climate control, lighting etc. Kind of a win on this since you get the much lighter truck, and your not tied to the Raptor price tag.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 10:56 AM
  2. Richard Hinsley

Richard Hinsley Full Access Member

I'm going to rebuild my 6.2 when its needed and try to get to the 500hp mark N/A .

3. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Just super charge it, 700 HP is what the 6,000 lb beast needs, 500 is nothing.

4. PorterW1111

PorterW1111 Full Access Member

Completely agree with this approach. Basically a wrecked 250, a shell of a 150 and the same 30k in long travel and fiberglass regardless of what vehicle and you are set.

5. zombiekiller

zombiekiller EXO Crewmember

hell, it took me 9 months just to figure out how to get all of the dash lights to go out from swapping my seats.

next time, I'm just gonna take the freaking bulb out of the dash.

to borrow a quote from a friend, " I just need a motor that I can bang off the revlimiter for 2 or 3 hours at a time, is that too much to ask?"

6. PorterW1111

Hahah what your saying you can’t just use forscan to turn off warning and airbag lights? Lol

7. zombiekiller

negatory. And as a bonus, if you pull the stock driver's seat, the steering column adjustment mechanism stops working.

8. PorterW1111

Was pure sarcasm knocking that forscan will fix all of your issues as if you had a “stock” truck bahah

zombiekiller likes this.
  9. zombiekiller

you'd be amazed. Did you know that the computer doodads that generate the shift signal to tell the transfer case to shift also control the blower motor for the hvac?

and if you reset the keep alive memory, they'll both start working again?

I swear Ford makes things overly complex on purpose.

SVTFordRaptor likes this.
  10. PorterW1111

It’s stories like this that make me want to go carbureted lol