Dropping Fords new 7.3L in a Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But still, this is not a big increase in power to justify the cost of trying to make it work in Raptor
You probably won't find a Tuner willing to even spend their time and money to make it work.
But I've seen strange things before, who knows.

You'd be better off with the new 5.2L and a supercharger kit.

Better yet, invest in getting the 10 speed tranny to work.
The 6.2L with the 10 speed would be a killer solution.
I have been looking at motors lately trying to figure out my next build. I love the idea of dropping in a 5.2 but the cheapest I’ve found one is $18k the 7.3 you can get for $7k that’s a lot of room to play with the 7.3.

other more promising option would be a blown 6.6 from livernois. You be around 800hp+ easy for under the cost of the 5.2.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A complete Livernois 6.6L with the Whipple is more like $35,000
But you would be over 850 HP

I'm only at around 720 to 725 HP with full stock exhaust.
But that only cost me $9,750 installed to get.

All to early to tell what the 7.3 can and cannot do.
We don't even know if likes forced air induction yet.

I do believe "there's no replacement for displacement" but at what cost.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "liking forced induction" Every engine will make more power with positive atmosphere. Prochargers version is making around 630hp at 7-8 psi, this is a conservative tune on an otherwise stock engine.

The 7.3l seems like a pretty good candidate, the obvious hurdles are:

Its a single cam engine, sensors and logic don't match the 6.2l at all. This means there isn't a lot of hope of controlling it with the stock engine management system. If your truck is caveman bare bones this isn't a huge deal because the integration of the 7.3l control pack (supposedly forthcoming from ford) would be fairly straight forward. However if your truck has all the bells and whistles the integration is going to be difficult. The early trucks that have minimum traction control and lack the multi terrain modes and advanced sync integration will be much easier than the later gen 1.

No one has done it yet, being the first is an expensive proposition.

Pros:
The 7.3l is lighter.
It will essentially bolt in, uses the same engine mounts, same trans pattern. It is slightly longer, but narrower... more room for turbos.
There is already more aftermarket support for this engine than there is for the 6.2l.
6 bolt mains from the factory, heavily reinforced block, forged crank, deep skirted block.
Rods/pistons are not factory forged, of course neither are the LS platform. With the rigidity of the block these will make good power on FI applications without need of tearing into the bottom end.
Basic mods and tuning push this engine over 600hp, that's supercharger territory for a 6.2l.
The cylinder heads are very good, room for plenty of lift, early ported forms are flowing 395 cfm. This means around 800 HP NA is possible. There is already a build at 790hp, and it is destined for a 3 liter whipple, if it was running more compression it would be over 800.

It's already being embraced by numerous tuning shops and swappers, aftermarket support already exists and the engines haven't even started to populate junkyards.

Saying the 6.2l is superior to the 7.3l is a bit like saying the 5.4 is superior to the 6.2l. The 7.3l is more displacement, more head flow, 2 generations newer engine management.

I hope this will be a someday project for me. 2-3 years from now these engines will be available from low-mile totaled trucks for a few grand. Right now with crate engines being the only option, and the aftermarket still being in fledgling state it will be difficult to accomplish. I have no doubt we will see these migrating into newer and newer vehicles, and then its just a matter of someone doing it.

Yes it's rated at 430hp from the factory, only 19 more than the raptor. Its also rated at 475 ft-lbs, 42 more than the raptor, but look at the curves: average torque is way up. Its at that power level with NO power enrichment, and a truck tune for low grade fuel and heavy loads. Tuning produces 60 ft lbs under the curve and 50hp, more if your willing to switch to premium fuel. And remember, this is on a heavy duty truck cam.

Ford intentionally neutered the tuning on these engines. It makes the EPA happy, and more importantly keeps the diesel on top of the heap for horsepower. The 7.3l is a $2,045 option, the diesel is $10,495, they are not going to usurp it.

The sad fact is no one is swapping engines in gen 1's. Its a tough pill to swallow on an inherently special, and valuable vehicle.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You underlined lighter, like 7 lbs. is a lot if the info from FordTechOne is correct.
LOL, I guess a cam weights 3.5 lbs.
I don't believe any body said the 6.2 is superior to the 7.3L???

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A complete Livernois 6.6L with the Whipple is more like $35,000
But you would be over 850 HP

I'm only at around 720 to 725 HP with full stock exhaust.
But that only cost me $9,750 installed to get.

All to early to tell what the 7.3 can and cannot do.
We don't even know if likes forced air induction yet.

I do believe "there's no replacement for displacement" but at what cost.

LOL. All engines absolutely love more air. There isn't a scenario in the world where (as long as proper fuel was used) someone said, "hmm, this thing ran better NA than with 8-10psi of boost."

It all comes down to quality fuel (with appropriate octane for compression ratio and boost levels), tuning and making sure the head gasket stays sealed. Which really mostly comes down to tuning (timing) at reasonable boost levels.

The 7.3 is promising engine. But swaps are a pain in the ass, especially if it's in a vehicle that lives in a state where you have to pass emissions inspections for registration. And with a modern CANBUS equipped vehicle like the raptor, keep the functionality of all the creature comfort features. Is it possible? yes. There are guys that offer Motec plug and play setups for multiple different modern cars and retain full OEM functionality, including cruise control, TCS/STM, air bags, etc. But for an Evo10 for example, a Motec M130 with software is $3,950 from John Reed Racing. For custom apps, if you purchase the ECU from him, its $100/hr to build a firmware solution.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My term of "likes forced air induction" is meant as durability issues in the stock configuration.
And not a Ford Durability Test either.
The 7.3L seems promising for sure.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We know fords current metallurgy for pistons and rods, we know the block is rigid, we know it has 6 bolt mains, extra webbing and deep skirts to keep the piston strain to a minimum. The stock bore is only 4.22", combustion control will not be an issue. The rings are far down on the pistons, which will help them handle boost. The bottom end is not going to be a durability problem. My guess is it will be very happy driven around at 10-12 psi in stock form. This is going to depend a ton on your choice of power adder. A lot of boost before peak torque is going to kill them. Run something like a procharger or a responsibly set up turbo system you will go a lot further with the bottom end.

Top end is good too, 13mm head bolts, MLS gaskets, 320cfm from the heads with no porting means around 650HP is attainable NA. Head and gasket design means bore distortion is minimized as well. Large, canted valves will prevent shrouding and further help power production.

I would think these would make 4 figure digit with cam, turbo and stock bottom end, perhaps not as a daily driver but certainly as a race or occasional use vehicle. With these making over 500hp N/A with just a cam and tuning your talking less than 15psi to hit 1khp, once you start talking about getting into the heads and machine work the boost scheme gets even more gentle.

With modern engine management I would not hesitate to boost the brains out of one of these in stock form, set it up for E85 and hit the loud pedal.

This video series talks about the engine, full tear down Skip to 6:30 to see what they think of boosting it.

If you don't want to watch that he thinks 8-9 psi stock will be fine, roughly 62% increase in power. That puts you somewhere around 700hp with out touching anything else. He feels the block itself is good to at least 1800hp.

Even if the stock reciprocating assembly will "only" hold up to 700hp that is a lot of power. Realistically if you want something reliable beyond that you should be looking at forged components, regardless of which engine you have chosen.

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the whole banana will come down to BCM to PCM integration. If dropping the new 7.3 into a truck becomes problematic due to computer integration, not many will be willing to undertake the project.

there is no freaking way that I'm even going to consider dropping $55K to have a shop drop a supercharged coyote into my truck when the crate motor and supercharger together are under $20K at full retail.

While a different animal completely, the only holding me back from ditching my ecoboost has been the pcm to bcm integration.

So much so that I am seriously considering either tearing out all of the ford electronics, rewiring the basics and going LS power, or simply buying a wrecked F-150 or F-250, swapping the drivetrain in, and using the donor truck's wiring harness to run the entire truck, since most ( if not all) of the Body electronics are identical.